· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Adding salt to help speed healing process...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi There!

New the forum looking for advice on whether I should add salt to my aquarium which seems to be a lil' unstable at the moment. I have suffered several deaths in the past month and cannot isolate one specific cause, most likely because there is not just one. I had a problem with a kissing gouramis sucking on my other fish (notabley my powder blue gouramis) I removed the kissing gouramis but found the 2 blue gouramis developed lesions on them which I originally left untreated and then later tried some melafix and quarantine but it seemed ineffective, possibly because I had allowed the infection to worsten beyond recovery. I have noticed my younger Platinum gourami has developed a similar looking lesion above his one gill and have begun a 7 day Melafix treatment. I checked my water parameters. Nitrates/Nitrites/Amonia were all basically zero however the PH seemed high at around 8.2. These conditions could be caused by the %40 water changed I did the day before as my local water supply(like most) is probably Hard. My angel fish showed early signs of ick, which I was informed can be common as winter breaks into spring but I have been treating with Tetra Ick Guard for 4 Days now but there still remains a few white spots on one fin. His behavior seems to be semi-normal and colour is fine and he continues to eat, however the fin with the white spots does show a bright redness where it connects with the body which was not there before. Unfortunately When me and my girlfriend originally treated with ick we had enough for 1 1/2 doses so we ended up reducing the water level in the aquarium by about %40(wasn't really my idea). The temperture went too high and I turned it down but it went too low. Thought my Leopard Ctenopoma was dead when it was lying side down on the aquarium but is miraculously up and around again unfortunately even though my water level and tempertur has stablized at about 76 I have watched my 10 neon tetras die off one by one in the past 36 hrs. At this point I was planning on running with ick guard every 24 hrs until the white spots are gone on the Angelfish and as I mentioned earlier a 7 day melafix treatment. Not sure when I should do the next water change, although since my toxin levels are very low atm see no immediate need at least for now...But, should I add some salt to the mix or have I already gone too far???????
    Last edited by DEPTHCHARGE; 04-08-2014 at 02:45 AM.

1 Not allowed!
    From your description it appears there may be several underlying issues that could be the cause of severe problems.
    However, without knowing the following, it would be hard to make a definitive diagnosis
    - tank size
    - filter
    - tank history
    - maintenance schedule
    - stock
    - water parameters, in exact ppm