Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 52 of 128 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 1280
  1. #511

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southeast texas
    Posts
    2,798

    Awards Showcase

    Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year!! - SeaLady Thx for the nomination. - pRED Thx for the nomination - pRED 
    right back at cha :o) - fishmommie T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie Good to see you back and thanx for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the tetra. It does stink to have fish pass with out finding why. Keep you chin up. It gettes better.
    The space in your filter where the carbon goes, can you remove it and add more creamic stone for BB?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

  2. #512

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    21,933

    Awards Showcase

    Happy anniversary! - wgoldfarb A gift for two great years ;-) - steeler58 and here's to the next 20,000! - RiversGirl 20,000 post's 'NUFF SAID" ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF and thanks for the rep :-) - Taurus TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 for being an awesome fish friend! - nickellmama27 Thx for all your help! - BluewaterBoof it's the weekend - cm12setx 
    Thanks for the rep brother ;-) - steeler58 Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger Just because ;-) - steeler58 Thank you for helping with my filter problem! - showmebutterfly 
    Happy Saturday back at you ;-) - steeler58 Sorry, no blue shrimp, but here's because you have N. davidi variants! - Anders247 Thanks for all the thumbs up! - Boundava An essential for the weekend :-) - Taurus thanks for the brisket instructions!  yum - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

    Default


    3 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the neon, Rivers...don't beat yourself up over it, if the rest of the fish seem fine, it's just one of those things we go through when first starting out...I lost one of the 2 plecos I bought a few weeks after stocking my tank, for no apparent reason that I could figure out...all of the rest of the fish were fine

    I know nothing about that Fluval sub, but if you kept all bio-media wet, in tank water, and just removed gunk and dirt, your BB loss should be minimal...good job getting it cleaned up, gunky filters can affect trAte levels

    Don't dare be "embarrassed" that you did not think the place in the filter would be better-suited filled with bio media, you are LEARNING and doing what you have learned will help your fish and tank...that's the BEST that can be asked of a beginning fish keeper

    I really want to know what those carbon "inserts" look like, and how they are built...I'm sure one of us here could improvise something, anything that BB would readily grow on to take their place

    Do not reconsider getting the corys, my dear...yes, many tetras are easy to keep, but neons do require a little special extra care...if your water params are fine, and I know you know how to test properly, chalk up the neon deaths to something other than the conditions of your tank...it happens

    And I don't mean to nag, but the sooner we get extra filtration on that tank, the better, IMO

    Slap-
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-15-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

  3. #513

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the Tetra RG. Try not to worry too much, sounds like you've done all that you could to be sure the environment was the best it could be. Sometimes stuff like that just happens. Please do get the Cories.. they are so fun and would be a great addition to your wonderful tank!
    DM's 20g high - journal

  4. #514

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    Sorry to hear about the tetra. It does stink to have fish pass with out finding why. Keep you chin up. It gettes better.
    The space in your filter where the carbon goes, can you remove it and add more creamic stone for BB?
    Thank you for the kind words cm.

    The 2 places where the carbon/sponge (which are glued to one another, it seems like) are directly inside the intakes, which goes down the full side -- both right and left. This fits in this tray like plastic holder, which holds it in place. I should be able to find a big enough sponge and either squish it or cut it to fit into the tray (I think?)

    The U4 filter, looking at it from the front (with X-ray vision) looks like:
    Filter wall left side intake vents // sponge-carbon pad // rectangular basket filled with bio media // carbon-sponge pad // filter wall right side intake vents

    The flow of water (I'm pretty sure goes like this) is sucked in through both sides, then it gets pushed through the media basket, to the front and out.

    I do need good sponge material just inside of those intakes, otherwise my shrimp would get sucked in, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin21 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the Tetra RG. Try not to worry too much, sounds like you've done all that you could to be sure the environment was the best it could be. Sometimes stuff like that just happens. Please do get the Cories.. they are so fun and would be a great addition to your wonderful tank!
    Thank you dm. I have wanted Cories since my very first stocking plan... I do want to add them, I just would feel bad if there is something I'm over looking and I put them into an unhealthy environment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the neon, Rivers...don't beat yourself up over it, if the rest of the fish seem fine, it's just one of those things we go through when first starting out...I lost one of the 2 plecos I bought a few weeks after stocking my tank, for no apparent reason that I could figure out...all of the rest of the fish were fine
    Thank you. I guess I did ‘chalk it up’ to newbee status for the first one, and to being away for the second dead neon… but the third one in as many months seems like there must be something I’m doing or not doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I know nothing about that Fluval sub, but if you kept all bio-media wet, in tank water, and just removed gunk and dirt, your BB loss should be minimal...good job getting it cleaned up, gunky filters can affect trAte levels
    OK good – thank you for the reassurance. I did not let it dry out. I did have to remove it all the way out of the tank though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Don't dare be "embarrassed" that you did not think the place in the filter would be better-suited filled with bio media, you are LEARNING and doing what you have learned will help your fish and tank...that's the BEST that can be asked of a beginning fish keeper

    I really want to know what those carbon "inserts" look like, and how they are built...I'm sure one of us here could improvise something, anything that BB would readily grow on to take their place

    Do not reconsider getting the corys, my dear...yes, many tetras are easy to keep, but neons do require a little special extra care...if your water params are fine, and I know you know how to test properly, chalk up the neon deaths to something other than the conditions of your tank...it happens

    And I don't mean to nag, but the sooner we get extra filtration on that tank, the better, IMO
    In addition to the bio media I've ordered, I’ve also ordered that pre-filter from h4n.

    Oh! I was going to let you know he sells food in smaller quantities too. Just scroll all the way to near the bottom to see the ‘by the ounce’ foods.

    I sure do appreciate being able to come here.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 07-16-2014 at 01:00 AM.

  5. #515

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    21,933

    Awards Showcase

    Happy anniversary! - wgoldfarb A gift for two great years ;-) - steeler58 and here's to the next 20,000! - RiversGirl 20,000 post's 'NUFF SAID" ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF and thanks for the rep :-) - Taurus TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 for being an awesome fish friend! - nickellmama27 Thx for all your help! - BluewaterBoof it's the weekend - cm12setx 
    Thanks for the rep brother ;-) - steeler58 Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger Here's to peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend! - WhistlingBadger Just because ;-) - steeler58 Thank you for helping with my filter problem! - showmebutterfly 
    Happy Saturday back at you ;-) - steeler58 Sorry, no blue shrimp, but here's because you have N. davidi variants! - Anders247 Thanks for all the thumbs up! - Boundava An essential for the weekend :-) - Taurus thanks for the brisket instructions!  yum - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Good update, thanks Rivers...yes, I'd recommend buying an AC110 sponge...it's big, you can kind of figure out what sizes (planks, or slab shapes?) you would need to cut it into to fill the spaces where you'll remove the carbon sponges...take your time, and kind of plan each size and piece you'll need...rinse them well after you cut them to size, and replace those carbon sponges with your DIY sponges...you'll need a good set of kitchen shears, or some heavy duty scissors (clean, of course)

    Do one at a time if you want, and tailor the DIY's to the spaces you have to fill...maybe a few days in between each, to let the BB settle in

    I'm glad to hear you have the mesh pre-filter ordered, you'll like it, and thanks for thi heads-up on the foods he sells!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

  6. #516

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    5,668

    Awards Showcase

    More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123 Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer Happy New Year!! - SeaLady For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7 Thanks 4 help - pRED 

    Default


    3 Not allowed!
    Don't worry about the neon. They aren't as hardy as you think. The fact that you have only lost three since you got them is pretty good for a first time tank owner. You only need to start worrying if you are getting several deaths a week. Then something is going on. Glad you ordered the Corys I can't wait till they get here!! lol That's why I came over here tonight. "I need to see if Rivers got her cories and if not, I need to scold her for it." lol
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

    You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

  7. #517

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California
    Posts
    9,806

    Awards Showcase

    Thanks for the gifts! Have an octopus. :p - Anders247 9,000 Posts! - Slaphppy7 To celebrate reaching 9,000 posts! - wgoldfarb Congrats on the new fish and 9 grand! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TT.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly And here's to DST!! - Slaphppy7 Rummies cheer me up; sorry for the loss - Slaphppy7 Round 2..... - Slaphppy7 Bit of luck for St. Patrick's Day :-) - Taurus 
    A cookie always makes me feel better when I'm sick. Get better soon. - Silbar Happy Easter - fishmommie Happy Easter my friend..I hope this Cadbury bunny lays many eggs. - Taurus T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the tetras! - Boundava 
    taking one for the team in the jaw. - cm12setx For the wounded worrier :-) - Taurus Weekend's not officiaslly over yet - Slaphppy7 Happy Saturday - Slaphppy7 Good luck with the new fish :-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

    Default


    3 Not allowed!
    Don't beat yourself up over the Neon as Matt and Rob already advised you. They are so "mass produced" I would blame in on weak genes, more than I would you. Cory's can be tough sometimes but if your tank is "seasoned" like it is, you should do fine :)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

  8. #518

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southeast texas
    Posts
    2,798

    Awards Showcase

    Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year!! - SeaLady Thx for the nomination. - pRED Thx for the nomination - pRED 
    right back at cha :o) - fishmommie T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie Good to see you back and thanx for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    If i can get on a real pc i will look into info on your filter for a macgiver fix for the carbon thing.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

  9. #519

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Good update, thanks Rivers...yes, I'd recommend buying an AC110 sponge...it's big, you can kind of figure out what sizes (planks, or slab shapes?) you would need to cut it into to fill the spaces where you'll remove the carbon sponges...take your time, and kind of plan each size and piece you'll need...rinse them well after you cut them to size, and replace those carbon sponges with your DIY sponges...you'll need a good set of kitchen shears, or some heavy duty scissors (clean, of course)

    Do one at a time if you want, and tailor the DIY's to the spaces you have to fill...maybe a few days in between each, to let the BB settle in

    I'm glad to hear you have the mesh pre-filter ordered, you'll like it, and thanks for thi heads-up on the foods he sells!
    Awesome info. I'll seek out one of those sponges. Thank you very much for the guidance.

    I won't go into my paranoia regarding the scissors I ended up designating as tank scissors... *blush*

    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Don't worry about the neon. They aren't as hardy as you think. The fact that you have only lost three since you got them is pretty good for a first time tank owner. You only need to start worrying if you are getting several deaths a week. Then something is going on. Glad you ordered the Corys I can't wait till they get here!! lol That's why I came over here tonight. "I need to see if Rivers got her cories and if not, I need to scold her for it." lol
    Thank you so much for saying so. *hugs* you for your kind words.

    *grins* too, over your checking on me regarding the Corys -- I am super-excited. Was going to add them in last week and the LFS was sold out! The (so very nice) manager told me they'd order more for late this week.

    I could have sworn I read some articles recommending to get them in a ratio of 2m/1f (but of course I can't seem to find where I read that now) so I think I'll do that, if the store can sex them. If anyone has info on the best ratio for these, I'd sure like to hear it.

    I'm thinking 9. But then I was also thinking that perhaps I don't need *so much* going on (as Kevin suggested a while back) and perhaps I should get 15 and have the Sterbai Cory be my only floor region school. (Decisions are hard when options are nearly limitless!) It is great fun 'playing' with it all, in my head though.

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Don't beat yourself up over the Neon as Matt and Rob already advised you. They are so "mass produced" I would blame in on weak genes, more than I would you. Cory's can be tough sometimes but if your tank is "seasoned" like it is, you should do fine :)
    Thank you so very much Lee. *smiles*

    I've always wondered what exactly 'seasoned' is. Is there a sort of benchmark, for that?

    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    If i can get on a real pc i will look into info on your filter for a macgiver fix for the carbon thing.
    I'd appreciate any of that, yes please. Those sorts of fixes often seem to be the best suited ones. I'm hopeful that Matt's idea will work well for this filter (with the AC 110 sponge) but you'd think there is a market for just a big flat of sponge, just for cut-to-size projects. I just am not looking in the right place, or something.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 07-16-2014 at 05:06 AM.

  10. #520

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    5,668

    Awards Showcase

    More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123 Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer Happy New Year!! - SeaLady For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7 Thanks 4 help - pRED 

    Default


    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Thank you so much for saying so. *hugs* you for your kind words.

    *grins* too, over your checking on me regarding the Corys -- I am super-excited. Was going to add them in last week and the LFS was sold out! The (so very nice) manager told me they'd order more for late this week.

    I could have sworn I read some articles recommending to get them in a ratio of 2m/1f (but of course I can't seem to find where I read that now) so I think I'll do that, if the store can sex them. If anyone has info on the best ratio for these, I'd sure like to hear it.

    I'm thinking 9. But then I was also thinking that perhaps I don't need *so much* going on (as Kevin suggested a while back) and perhaps I should get 15 and have the Sterbai Cory be my only floor region school. (Decisions are hard when options are nearly limitless!) It is great fun 'playing' with it all, in my head though.
    Lol you are welcome. Don't worry about sexing the cories. Just get a big bunch of them. They are rather hard to sex and it isn't necessary. I would get the 15 Sterbai myself and see what happens.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

    You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Page 52 of 128 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •