· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the tetra. It does stink to have fish pass with out finding why. Keep you chin up. It gettes better.
    The space in your filter where the carbon goes, can you remove it and add more creamic stone for BB?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl 
    Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

3 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the neon, Rivers...don't beat yourself up over it, if the rest of the fish seem fine, it's just one of those things we go through when first starting out...I lost one of the 2 plecos I bought a few weeks after stocking my tank, for no apparent reason that I could figure out...all of the rest of the fish were fine

I know nothing about that Fluval sub, but if you kept all bio-media wet, in tank water, and just removed gunk and dirt, your BB loss should be minimal...good job getting it cleaned up, gunky filters can affect trAte levels

Don't dare be "embarrassed" that you did not think the place in the filter would be better-suited filled with bio media, you are LEARNING and doing what you have learned will help your fish and tank...that's the BEST that can be asked of a beginning fish keeper

I really want to know what those carbon "inserts" look like, and how they are built...I'm sure one of us here could improvise something, anything that BB would readily grow on to take their place

Do not reconsider getting the corys, my dear...yes, many tetras are easy to keep, but neons do require a little special extra care...if your water params are fine, and I know you know how to test properly, chalk up the neon deaths to something other than the conditions of your tank...it happens

And I don't mean to nag, but the sooner we get extra filtration on that tank, the better, IMO

Slap-
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-15-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the Tetra RG. Try not to worry too much, sounds like you've done all that you could to be sure the environment was the best it could be. Sometimes stuff like that just happens. Please do get the Cories.. they are so fun and would be a great addition to your wonderful tank!
    DM's 20g high - journal

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    Sorry to hear about the tetra. It does stink to have fish pass with out finding why. Keep you chin up. It gettes better.
    The space in your filter where the carbon goes, can you remove it and add more creamic stone for BB?
    Thank you for the kind words cm.

The 2 places where the carbon/sponge (which are glued to one another, it seems like) are directly inside the intakes, which goes down the full side -- both right and left. This fits in this tray like plastic holder, which holds it in place. I should be able to find a big enough sponge and either squish it or cut it to fit into the tray (I think?)

The U4 filter, looking at it from the front (with X-ray vision) looks like:
    Filter wall left side intake vents // sponge-carbon pad // rectangular basket filled with bio media // carbon-sponge pad // filter wall right side intake vents

The flow of water (I'm pretty sure goes like this) is sucked in through both sides, then it gets pushed through the media basket, to the front and out.

I do need good sponge material just inside of those intakes, otherwise my shrimp would get sucked in, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin21 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the Tetra RG. Try not to worry too much, sounds like you've done all that you could to be sure the environment was the best it could be. Sometimes stuff like that just happens. Please do get the Cories.. they are so fun and would be a great addition to your wonderful tank!
    Thank you dm. I have wanted Cories since my very first stocking plan... I do want to add them, I just would feel bad if there is something I'm over looking and I put them into an unhealthy environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the neon, Rivers...don't beat yourself up over it, if the rest of the fish seem fine, it's just one of those things we go through when first starting out...I lost one of the 2 plecos I bought a few weeks after stocking my tank, for no apparent reason that I could figure out...all of the rest of the fish were fine
    Thank you. I guess I did ‘chalk it up’ to newbee status for the first one, and to being away for the second dead neon… but the third one in as many months seems like there must be something I’m doing or not doing.

I know nothing about that Fluval sub, but if you kept all bio-media wet, in tank water, and just removed gunk and dirt, your BB loss should be minimal...good job getting it cleaned up, gunky filters can affect trAte levels
    OK good – thank you for the reassurance. I did not let it dry out. I did have to remove it all the way out of the tank though.

Don't dare be "embarrassed" that you did not think the place in the filter would be better-suited filled with bio media, you are LEARNING and doing what you have learned will help your fish and tank...that's the BEST that can be asked of a beginning fish keeper

I really want to know what those carbon "inserts" look like, and how they are built...I'm sure one of us here could improvise something, anything that BB would readily grow on to take their place

Do not reconsider getting the corys, my dear...yes, many tetras are easy to keep, but neons do require a little special extra care...if your water params are fine, and I know you know how to test properly, chalk up the neon deaths to something other than the conditions of your tank...it happens

And I don't mean to nag, but the sooner we get extra filtration on that tank, the better, IMO
    In addition to the bio media I've ordered, I’ve also ordered that pre-filter from h4n.

Oh! I was going to let you know he sells food in smaller quantities too. Just scroll all the way to near the bottom to see the ‘by the ounce’ foods.

I sure do appreciate being able to come here.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 07-16-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    40 gal fw: 3 male Platys; 16 Neon Tetras; 9 Cherry Barbs; ~30 Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail; a Mystery snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; some Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl 
    Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Good update, thanks Rivers...yes, I'd recommend buying an AC110 sponge...it's big, you can kind of figure out what sizes (planks, or slab shapes?) you would need to cut it into to fill the spaces where you'll remove the carbon sponges...take your time, and kind of plan each size and piece you'll need...rinse them well after you cut them to size, and replace those carbon sponges with your DIY sponges...you'll need a good set of kitchen shears, or some heavy duty scissors (clean, of course)

Do one at a time if you want, and tailor the DIY's to the spaces you have to fill...maybe a few days in between each, to let the BB settle in

I'm glad to hear you have the mesh pre-filter ordered, you'll like it, and thanks for thi heads-up on the foods he sells!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 
    Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff 
    sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 
    for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    Don't worry about the neon. They aren't as hardy as you think. The fact that you have only lost three since you got them is pretty good for a first time tank owner. You only need to start worrying if you are getting several deaths a week. Then something is going on. Glad you ordered the Corys I can't wait till they get here!! lol That's why I came over here tonight. "I need to see if Rivers got her cories and if not, I need to scold her for it." lol
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Don't beat yourself up over the Neon as Matt and Rob already advised you. They are so "mass produced" I would blame in on weak genes, more than I would you. Cory's can be tough sometimes but if your tank is "seasoned" like it is, you should do fine :)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

2 Not allowed!
    If i can get on a real pc i will look into info on your filter for a macgiver fix for the carbon thing.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

1 Not allowed!
    Good update, thanks Rivers...yes, I'd recommend buying an AC110 sponge...it's big, you can kind of figure out what sizes (planks, or slab shapes?) you would need to cut it into to fill the spaces where you'll remove the carbon sponges...take your time, and kind of plan each size and piece you'll need...rinse them well after you cut them to size, and replace those carbon sponges with your DIY sponges...you'll need a good set of kitchen shears, or some heavy duty scissors (clean, of course)

Do one at a time if you want, and tailor the DIY's to the spaces you have to fill...maybe a few days in between each, to let the BB settle in

I'm glad to hear you have the mesh pre-filter ordered, you'll like it, and thanks for thi heads-up on the foods he sells!
    Awesome info. I'll seek out one of those sponges. Thank you very much for the guidance.

I won't go into my paranoia regarding the scissors I ended up designating as tank scissors... *blush*

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Don't worry about the neon. They aren't as hardy as you think. The fact that you have only lost three since you got them is pretty good for a first time tank owner. You only need to start worrying if you are getting several deaths a week. Then something is going on. Glad you ordered the Corys I can't wait till they get here!! lol That's why I came over here tonight. "I need to see if Rivers got her cories and if not, I need to scold her for it." lol
    Thank you so much for saying so. *hugs* you for your kind words.

*grins* too, over your checking on me regarding the Corys -- I am super-excited. Was going to add them in last week and the LFS was sold out! The (so very nice) manager told me they'd order more for late this week.

I could have sworn I read some articles recommending to get them in a ratio of 2m/1f (but of course I can't seem to find where I read that now) so I think I'll do that, if the store can sex them. If anyone has info on the best ratio for these, I'd sure like to hear it.

I'm thinking 9. But then I was also thinking that perhaps I don't need *so much* going on (as Kevin suggested a while back) and perhaps I should get 15 and have the Sterbai Cory be my only floor region school. (Decisions are hard when options are nearly limitless!) It is great fun 'playing' with it all, in my head though.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Don't beat yourself up over the Neon as Matt and Rob already advised you. They are so "mass produced" I would blame in on weak genes, more than I would you. Cory's can be tough sometimes but if your tank is "seasoned" like it is, you should do fine :)
    Thank you so very much Lee. *smiles*

I've always wondered what exactly 'seasoned' is. Is there a sort of benchmark, for that?

Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    If i can get on a real pc i will look into info on your filter for a macgiver fix for the carbon thing.
    I'd appreciate any of that, yes please. Those sorts of fixes often seem to be the best suited ones. I'm hopeful that Matt's idea will work well for this filter (with the AC 110 sponge) but you'd think there is a market for just a big flat of sponge, just for cut-to-size projects. I just am not looking in the right place, or something.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 07-16-2014 at 05:06 AM.
    40 gal fw: 3 male Platys; 16 Neon Tetras; 9 Cherry Barbs; ~30 Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail; a Mystery snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; some Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 
    Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff 
    sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 
    for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Thank you so much for saying so. *hugs* you for your kind words.

*grins* too, over your checking on me regarding the Corys -- I am super-excited. Was going to add them in last week and the LFS was sold out! The (so very nice) manager told me they'd order more for late this week.

I could have sworn I read some articles recommending to get them in a ratio of 2m/1f (but of course I can't seem to find where I read that now) so I think I'll do that, if the store can sex them. If anyone has info on the best ratio for these, I'd sure like to hear it.

I'm thinking 9. But then I was also thinking that perhaps I don't need *so much* going on (as Kevin suggested a while back) and perhaps I should get 15 and have the Sterbai Cory be my only floor region school. (Decisions are hard when options are nearly limitless!) It is great fun 'playing' with it all, in my head though.
    Lol you are welcome. Don't worry about sexing the cories. Just get a big bunch of them. They are rather hard to sex and it isn't necessary. I would get the 15 Sterbai myself and see what happens.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast