· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION! Re: travelling

0 Not allowed!
    Here's the story.
    I have a 50 gallon tropical aquarium. All live. Plants, everything is natural.
    I am driving in a 26ft box truck across Atlantic Canada and towing my car. Myself and my partner are doing this together.
    My Cats are riding in the cab of the truck. My birds are riding in the towed car and the aquarium was going to ride in the top portion of the box truck, where it can be safely secured, accessed and have all of its electrical needs supplied by the truck.

Here is the problem.
    Driving across Atlantic Canada I am bound to hit Pot holes, gravel Roads, ferry crossings, etc. needless to say it won't always be a smooth ride. I know it is unreasonable to want the tank to be perfect. I need a way to have the water moving/ splashing and splashing as little as possible.

So far I experimented with the idea of high density impact reducing foam. This would be perfect for a smaller tank, but the 50G just squishes the foam.

Now, please, everyone throw suggestions at me!
    I have a couple of months to figure this all out!

6 Not allowed!
    DO NOT MOVE the tank with water in it. That is begging for it to fail

-Go to your LFS and buy a bunch of bags and a shipping styro, ask the store employee to show you how to bag fish and explain it is because you are moving.
    -Drain your tank 50%, remove all fish and double bag them, then put them in the styro
    -Remove all plants, put in a 5g bucket with some water
    -Drain the tank the rest of the way and remove any heavy driftwood/rocks
    -you can remove the substrate too, but it can be moved in the tank (i don't recommend it as it is heavy)
    -take your filter media and put it in the bucket with the plants

Move the tank to the new location and set up, acclimate the fish just like they were new fish and make sure the temp is correct in the tank

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I wouldn't drive with the tank full of water, either. Thats just asking for a leak if not in the truck, then stressing it so it may leak in the house when set up again. Triton has given you some good advice.

The fish are better off bagged and shipped in an insulated cooler, maybe with a couple heat packs on the bottom, depending on the length of the trip and temp of the box. I would bag a couple plants with each bag of fish tho - I'm not positive but you'd think a plant or two would help reduce stress somewhat as it would give them some cover and perhaps help with oxygen over the long haul. I would also divide up the filter media (rinsed in tank water) amongst the bags of fish as well, as there will be ammonia with the fish to keep your bb alive but none with the plants.

good luck with the move

4. Default

3 Not allowed!
    If you have electrical in the top part of the truck I would probably put the fish in five gallon buckets with the lids on. I would then drill a small hole in each lid and run and airpump off the electrical and put an airstone in each bucket. Some plants could go in each bucket and the filter media too. How many buckets would depend on how many fish you have and what type. I have never moved fish long distance but I would think this would work.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    If you have electrical in the top part of the truck I would probably put the fish in five gallon buckets with the lids on. I would then drill a small hole in each lid and run and airpump off the electrical and put an airstone in each bucket. Some plants could go in each bucket and the filter media too. How many buckets would depend on how many fish you have and what type. I have never moved fish long distance but I would think this would work.
    I agree. A small air pump in a 5 gallon bucket would be great if possible.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I have fisherman friends who keep bait fish alive for a few days in the back of their pickup trucks just like this.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    They also have battery powered air pumps too. I think the consensus really is just not to move the tank with anything in it. Fish will be fine either way mentioned above

0 Not allowed!
    You've received some great advice above, and now, so have I. lol I'll be sure to keep this in mind in a year, when I'm ready to move.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.