· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Perfect. I've been switching the water when it gets cold, to hot water. Doesn't really seem to be working so far, all about patience I think.

Mommy1- thanks :) hmmm,.. There's also the extra cost isn't there? Cause I'm on a budget.,, :S

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those pieces of wood look like they may need more cleaning. Any loose bark (really all bark) should be removed. I scrape mine, then go to the car wash and hit 'em hard with the pressure hose.
    It will help you have a cleaner start-up and less nitrates from rotting material.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, scrape with what? Like a knife or something?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok got some Goldilocks, dunno if u guys have that? And gunna scrape tomoz, just before next load of hot water, will take pics if I remember! Or maybe I'll do it now... Hmmmm only 11pm?

1 Not allowed!
    That's a fun, original tank you've got going there! I don't have experience as others do here, but would love to share my thoughts if you'll just keep that disclaimer in mind.

Plants: I am thinking your idea of plants planted on your driftwood up high will work nicely. You'd have lots of shade down low, so you'd end up creating different 'light zones'. Tall and/or spread-out plastic plants for the bottom will provide cover and landscape there.

Fish: A big school of tiny fish would look so neat in that tank, IMHO. I'm thinking endlers or possibly Harlequin Rasboras or Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish. While researching, one of my questions there would be if they are exclusively top dwellers (and rule out any that are), searching for a variety of fish that likes the middle most of all.

It could be so interesting with a whole lot of tiny critters in it. I don't know a lot about shrimp, but am fascinated with those, currently. They'd love your driftwood, certainly.

The thing I'd be concerned about (instead of only looking at water volume) is the amount of surface area you've got in that tank. The more experienced people here might well know how to amplify your water/gas exchange area. My guesses would include considering a bubbler, but I am not sure.

Were I you, I'd also want to make certain that any bottom dwellers in that tank did not need to surface regularly.

It can take some time to water-log wood. You could consider lashing it (very well), first to each other and then to a rock with a hole to weigh it down. Just a thought. I'm considering doing that in mine, using fishing line. (I'm not certain if that is the best material to use, though.)

This tank sure does seem fun! I'm looking forward to watching it evolve.
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Fish: A big school of tiny fish would look so neat in that tank, IMHO. I'm thinking endlers or possibly Harlequin Rasboras or Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish.
    Neon Dwarf Rainbows need a long, rectangular tank as they are very active swimmers, across the length, not up and down. Mine use the whole 4 ft length of my 75 gal. I don't think they would be comfortable in a tank that tall and would become very stressed.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well got me some silk plants today, got pics, so it's all ok! Ummm what else. Haven't scraped wood yet, but thicker piece is getting closer to being water logged, and both now only need one stone to hold them down, yay! Might go scrape and do more water now. Will let you know how it goes.

RiversGirl- I'm prob going with a dwarf gourami, guppies, platties and a golden bristle nose. Got a bn already. He's in another tank, but think he will love this one with all the wood more! I love ur idea of tying rocks to the wood that's perfect, as for fishing line I've heard that's fine :) but u might wanna ask around :)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397280919.700302.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397280935.826776.jpg

Also in the second pic u can see the giant bubbler i have :)

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty new plants!
    40 gal fw: 3 Platy; Cherry Barb; Neon Tetra; Rummy-nose Tetra; Red Cherry Shrimp; an Assassin snail
    live plants: 2 Lace Java Fern on dw; a Sword plant; a Moss ball; 2 bunches of Java Moss on rocks; carpet of Cladophora algae on dw

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank u! Also after checking water got me a dwarf gourami today :) and rearrange the taller thinner plant so it looks better