· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Evie's 79g hexagon aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    So I have had tanks for about 10 years, cold water and tropicals. I however am new to forums, so thought I'd try a journal to get advice. My current tanks are one cold water goldfish, with one goldfish, his is 54 litres which I believe is 10g? Which I need to upgrade soonish. My tropicals are in a 60lt about 11g I think, (from NZ so we use metric) and I have one kissing gourami, his "mates" never lasted long, he's kinda a loner, called Johnny Cash, and Spike my yellow bristle nosed pleco whose just continually growing. Johnny is about 6, Spike 1yr.

So I just got a 300lt-79g hexagon tall tank, I would quite like some advice on how to stock this. I'm super fond of gouramis, and have heard Angels love tall tanks? That they enjoy lots of places to hide and chill out in. Any advice is welcome!

We have had it fishless cycling for just over a week, so far no ammonia so this is kinda worrying. We have added Prime and Stability not sure if anyone has heard of these? Our ph was at 7.8 and has dropped to 7.2 as of 5 hours ago. I did add water ager to get the chlorine etc out of the water. Our nitrate and nitrite levels are still at 0 despite adding a seeding material of extra filter from tropicals healthy tank and some gravel from their tank too. Wondering if I need to find some ammonia from somewhere but can't find a LFS which sells it? Called them all within driving range and had no luck.

Next I found some cool driftwood today which I want to plant on, and will soak and get the nasties out of, I got 3 big pieces which were all dry and sun bleached, so hoping I won't need to soak for full 2-3 weeks, but will do vinagar test to check. I would quite like to add one at the bottom, and another tied to it vertically and plant on it. Also I need some help on low light plants I can plant on the higher part of my tank nearer the light on the driftwood if possible.

So thanks for reading, any advice, thoughts, extra would be so welcome! I'll add pictures when I get home, and can update with new readings tomorrow morning if anyone's interested :)

Trying to attach a pic now other half took of tank when we had just put the water in, and pumps /bubble stones in.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396764274.688631.jpg

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    That's a nice tank but there isn't going to be a lot of fish you can put in it. Fish need more horizontal space to swim. Angels like tall tanks because they are tall fish, but even they need a good footprint to move around. You might try some micro fish (fish that stay under 1 inch).

If I remember correctly, most people on this forum from NZ find it very difficult to find a source for ammonia and usually end up using a prawn or fish food to get their tanks cycled. It takes a bit longer because the prawn or food need to rot and you can't control the amount of ammonia in the tank, but it does work.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    That is a interesting looking tank, never seen one that tall before.

You got some good advice above for stocking and cycling. The stability is best suited (IMO) for when you are cycling with fish so you can skip using it in a fishless cycle and save some $ if you want

With a tank that tall, you are going to have a tough time getting a lot of good light to the bottom of the tank. Perhaps one of your better options would be to try some mosses (like java moss) and attach it to your drift wood ? For any other plant recommendation I would like to ask if you could provide some more information about the lighting on the tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking if I use plants, I was going to attach them near the top on driftwood? The light question is kinda hard as it came with a light, the one in the pic and then we have another light which is what we were going to use on our 20g rectangular tank, but it's way too intense but looks good on the hex. That light is a t8 max bright 18w with 2 bulbs.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mommy1 could u give some more advice on fish I could use? If it helps the tank is 122 tall but 110 with water excluding gravel, and 30cm sides 6 of them.

1 Not allowed!
    I assume those measurements are in cm, you may need to convert them for the old-fashioned folk here who still use imperial.

What is the diameter of the tank?

Also you said to me last night that you found pure ammonia... make sure that it really is 100% pure. I think if it bubbles when you shake it its no good.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvieBee View Post
    Mommy1 could u give some more advice on fish I could use? If it helps the tank is 122 tall but 110 with water excluding gravel, and 30cm sides 6 of them.
    That translates to 4 ft tall and about 23 inches long. Some fish to look for might be danio margaritatus, rasbora brigittae, boraras merah.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep will def shake it! Ok thanks heaps guys!!! Off to find ammonia now if it bubbles will be going prawn!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, driftwood boiling, and put the ammonia in. It didn't bubble at all, found it at this cleaning store that someone had recommended so was stoked as! Will keep you all updated, hoping to get driftwood all done today and checking with vinigar is the way to go isn't it? Is white vinegar ok? Or should I use something else?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You use vinegar to check rocks, if it bubbles it will change the pH of the tank. You check driftwood with your fingernail, if you can easily scratch it it is a soft wood and might not be usable.