· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: ramshorns

1. Default ramshorns

0 Not allowed!
    I'm finding conflicting information. Do they eat the dead leaves from plants and are the actually beneficial to the tank or do they eat plants and are as pesty as pond snails?

I plan on heavily planting my tank very soon but I'm curious if I should be also plucking out the rams? they do amuse me. On saturday mornings i have the most time to observe my tank and they are so neat. I often find myself pondering how they glide so smoothly over the sand or wondering how they're able to travel so fast for snails. However, if i had to choose between planting my tank or keeping them I'm pretty sure I'd pick planting. I have never liked fake plants and only have some to keep my gourami from chasing each other into a heart attack.
    65g: 12 Neon Tetras, 12 Zebra Danios, 7 Panda Cory, 2 Honey Gourami, 2 Clown Plecos, 4 Bloodfin Tetra, 3 Whitecloud and some snail hitch hikers... *shakes her fist*

40g breeder in the works. (too many directions to go.. can't decide)

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" Thomas A. Edison (i find this to be true in this hobby)

0 Not allowed!
    there are many different ramshorn species. my experience with the small
    bb gun pellet sized ones is that they are strictly detritus consumers. I haven't ever kept the larger
    ramshorns though, so i cannot comment on their dietary habits.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been reading on snails all night. I had no idea that nerite snails dont reproduce in freshwater. what in the world.. that is awesome!

The only small ramshorn i have seen are the babies which i am finding a ton of lately. it seems as though more sources point to them not eating your plants and being more beneficial than pesty aside from their reproduction. I cant tell if there are so many babies from over feeding or the 10 or so large ones i have. every night before i go to bed i toss in an algae wafer. I have panda corys and 2 clown plecos. in the morning i find the pandas, gourami and other fish nibbling on it and usually find some snails curled up also on it. (i break it into half or thirds and toss in so my gourami dont chase each ther from eating the same one and have nothing. I wonder if this is contributing?
    65g: 12 Neon Tetras, 12 Zebra Danios, 7 Panda Cory, 2 Honey Gourami, 2 Clown Plecos, 4 Bloodfin Tetra, 3 Whitecloud and some snail hitch hikers... *shakes her fist*

40g breeder in the works. (too many directions to go.. can't decide)

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" Thomas A. Edison (i find this to be true in this hobby)