· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fishless Cycle Stalled?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all! I have been cycling my 5 gallon fish tank since mid February. I use AquaSafe plus to treat the water before adding. I use pure ammonia as the ammonia source. Initially things seemed to be going pretty well, Ammonia began dropping and nitrites began to rise. However now there appears to be a stall in the cycle. Neither Ammonia nor nitrites have increased/decreased in the past week or so. Ammonia sits at about 1.0 ppm, Nitrite at .5-1.0 ppm, and Nitrate at 5 ppm. I do not know what to do now, any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    What type of filter and what media do you have? What is the temp of the tank? Do you have an airstone?

5 gallons is very small, what do you plan on stocking it with?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do not know the filter or media type, they came with the tank I bought. The temperature is ~80 F. I have no airstone. I am only going to stock it with a Betta and maybe a snail.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you added anything to the tank while cycling? Have you taken anything out?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Check the ph of your tank. If the PH is below 6.6, you should do a water change to get it back up to above 6.6. I am assuming the ph of your tap water is above ph 6.6.

1 Not allowed!
    Ph doesn't stay stable during cycling - perhaps you have been adding too much ammonia? Sometimes that can stall cycling.

A tiny tank like that wouldn't need more than an initial reading of 2ppm at the beginning and then drop it down to 1ppm once you register nitrites.

How long has the ammonia been sitting at that reading? Have you tried cleaning the filter media? I'm asking because you shouldn't do that while cycling a tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. I have added only the pure ammonia and topped off the water (treated with aquasafe plus) when some evaporates. My pH has been fluctuating between 7.6 and 8.0. Currently my ammonia is between 1.0 and 2.0 ppm, and it has been this way since last week (say 6 days or so). I have not cleaned the filter media.

0 Not allowed!
    How much ammonia were you adding? Sounds like perhaps there is too much in there?

Maybe try do a small water change to bring it down to 1.0ppm and see if it starts to drop after that.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Initially I was getting it to around 3ppm back when I was seeing results. Then once nitrite started rising I dropped it to between 1 and 2 ppm, its hard for me to see the color difference. I will try a water change, thanks for the advice

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with imma24 - at this point in your cycle, your ammonia should not be above 1.0 ppm. Do not add any ammonia until it reads 0 and you have a nitrite reading. Also, oxygenation is very important when cycling - maybe add an airstone to break the surface tension and raise your water temp to 82 deg.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"