· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Grow-A-Frog extended care

0 Not allowed!
    Recently a classroom at the school where I work purchased a grow-a-frog kit for students to observe for their science fair project:
    https://www.growafrog.com/gaf.html

There are seven total in three separate habitats, in varying stages of development from small tadpole to fully formed frogs.

Anyway, the powers that be intend to keep the frogs in the classroom and I am trying to research what type of habitat would be suitable for them. I assumed they were african dwarf frogs, based on their size and the fact that they are fully aquatic, but some googling suggests that they are in fact African clawed frogs:
    "Your Grow-a-Frog tadpole is of the species Xenopus laevis, or African clawed frog."

I was unable to confirm this on the website itself, but figured I could check tomorrow and see if the frogs have webbed front feet. I know African clawed frogs are a much larger species, but the grow-a-frog pamphlet sent with the kit says they will only grow to be about the size of a half-dollar.

So I don't know. I have a left over 10-gallon aquarium and the essentials (filter, heater, water pump, etc) but again I am receiving conflicting information about what kind of habitat would be appropriate for these guys, e.g. the info on the website says not to use aquarium heaters because the frogs could burn themselves by swimming too close, yet it also says the habitat should maintain a warmer temp (also, I have had fish touching various heater elements and never had any been burned).

Any advice? Suggestions? As I said, they are here to stay, so I would like to make their lives as comfortable as possible.

Thanks in advance.
    -Aude

0 Not allowed!
    You also could go on websites dedicated to aquatic frogs. I bet the info there is much more in depth. Instructions on company websites mostly are meant to just be the simplest way possible to keep an animal alive.

As for the heater thing, I don't think any aquatic animal smarter or more mobile than a snail would actually stay in the vicinity of a heater long enough to get burnt, unless it were very sick or stuck. Nevertheless heater guards are available/can be made to prevent this sort of accident.