· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocking ideas!

1. Question Stocking ideas!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys got a new 55 at petco the other day and was thinking of socking ideas. Here let me describe my house you walk in the front door and turn to the right and there is the stare case. Keep walking and you walk right into my living room. The tank is going underneath the stairs and I want the tank to be viewable up to like 25 feet away in my living room so I'm looking for bigger fish. I'm thinking 4 angel fish and 10 Congo tetras. Filtration is 650 GPH and I do a 15% water change every 3 to 4 days. If you see a problem with my stock please tell me or please just suggest other species. I may replace the Congos with dwarf neon rainbow fish but I would really love the congos.
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    48" is the recomended tank length for adult Congo's, great information on keeping them here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...63934634,d.aWc
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    A nice group (12?) of Colombian tetra would look nice.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My red and blues seem a bit too nippy for angels. That's why I thought Congos because they have long fins so I thought they wouldn't be as bad. O and my tank is 48' long based on what I read I'm really thinking Congos are the way to go.
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    A nice group (12?) of Colombian tetra would look nice.

I know this is to showcase the Colombians, but I don't think I've ever seen such active Hatchetfish. lol

I think both the Congos and Colombians would be perfectly suitable for Angelfish, but I think you'll run out of room in the 55 w/ 4 Angels + 10 Congos. They both get quite large and occupy the same space.

I would go with something smaller to contrast the Angels (as I assume they're the showcase in this tank). If you had a bigger tank, I would say the Dwarf Rainbows would be fine, but I think a 55gal would stress out the Angels, being that they're much slower and that fast paced activity will probably be a bit much for them.

Speaking of Hatchetfish, why not go with a school of Marbled hatchets and then fill out the bottom with a school of corys or a few plecos?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I could do another shoal of corydoras but I have them in my other 55 so I was thinking of something else or nothing at all to save bio-load space. Can any one think of other smaller fish that are around 2, 2 1/2 inches. Its kinda hard to think of fish because I don't want the angels eating them but I don't want the angels being nipped. hmm maybe giant danios Ive never had them.

2 Not allowed!
    Don't like hatchetfish, eh? lol I think they'd look really cool w/ angels in a planted tank. How about a school of Black Ruby, Rosy, Snakeskin, or Melon Barbs?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well my first fish I thought of was gold barbs but I found out they are cold water fish. The snakeskin and ruby barbs are really nice! Although the ruby barbs look a lot like tiger barbs are they as nippy as them?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Doing some more research I think pentazona barbs would be very nice as well!

0 Not allowed!
    Not at all as nippy as the Tigers. I have them with an Opaline Gourami and they all leave well enough alone. They're more aggressive with conspecifics, but that's typically when they're mature and ready to mate. The males get pretty ferocious with the females, so it's probably a good idea to have more females to males. Beautiful fish. I have 21 in my 75gal right now.