· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default feeding Gourami betta food?

0 Not allowed!
    My 2 honey gourami have always been more brown than orange.

I was doing some reading that suggested feeding them betta food to enrich their color?? any thoughts on this idea?

Also I read that its common for honeys to be more brown than orange? Is this true? I've always thought it was stress and have added a ton of fake plants to my tank that are tall to help de stress with no luck.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When I looked at the ingredients and levels of protein, etc. On a box of standard flakes vs Betts flakes they were the exact same. Can someone else correct me if I am wrong but I think the betta food is more marketing than actually a different food.
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My honeys change color from time to time. Around plants their more brown, otherwise they're much brighter. I feed flake, pellets, frozen foods, so on and so forth

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I believe a good majority of the fish food products out there are more marketing than anything else. Their color's will intensify when they're under more stress (good or bad). Under the cover of plants where they feel more safe they generally will be less bright unless something else has them fired up such as fighting for dominance.

Try throwing in some blood worms, freeze dried shrimp, and tubiflex worms. Honey gourami are carnivorous by nature. Especially with a sorted diet you'll probably notice different forms of feeding. The most common with flake food is snapping and gulping where they move to the surface and bite at the food or suck the food in. When they take on the more aggressive forms of feeding, I've noticed they tend to brighten up. Freeze dried food that tends to float higher on the surface than flakes often leads to spitting. In the wild, they use this on insects that are above the water's surface. Think of a mosquito standing on the water. They spit water to knock the prey into the water and then gobble them up.

Another feeding method I've seen is to jump out of the water. This is more rare and I've only seen it in adult males. However, when they get in that mood their colors are much more intense. As a caveat, I've only seen this in the three spot gourami which vary from honey gourami. Both are more carnivore though as compared to some of the other sub-species.

1 Not allowed!
    Could you post pictures? The Description you have is a Perfect Description for the Color of a normal honey gourami female