· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: turkey baster?

1. Default turkey baster?

0 Not allowed!
    I have been reading threads and articles on caring for a heavily planted tank. Someone had mentioned using a turkey baster to get debris from hard to reach areas in their tank? has anyone used this method? it SOUNDS like it would be a good idea but...

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a great idea. I usually start a siphon with an airline tubing and use that to 'spot vac,' grasping the airline with a pair of hemostats/needle drivers for really difficult to reach places. The main problem I run into is the cup I'm siphoning into overfilling while I'm looking around the tank lol.

0 Not allowed!
    might depend on tank size. a 10 gallon? yes. a 20 gallon? maybe. a 65 gallon? not really.
    besides that, having a too clean gravel bed is actually detrimental to the plants.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have one I use for tank cleanup. I really only use mine if I have an oops moment with the food.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have one, they are excellent for cleaning up in hard to get to places
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

1 Not allowed!
    I use one for cleaning fry tanks and for catching fry. The do work well in places you cant get to with the syphon.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I made my own little "mini vacuum", see here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=115488
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerileous View Post
    Sounds like a great idea. I usually start a siphon with an airline tubing and use that to 'spot vac,' grasping the airline with a pair of hemostats/needle drivers for really difficult to reach places. The main problem I run into is the cup I'm siphoning into overfilling while I'm looking around the tank lol.
    Been there! I still want to devise a drain through the floor to my wash basin drain, but I haven't yet. I overflowed my bucket last year. Not a whole lot, BUT this tank is in the room with hardwood floors and in the time it took me to notice, I warped 3 boards. It took about 3 months, and to my surprise they dried and look almost normal now. I kept slapping my forehead, stupid, stupid, stupid!! LOL
    55 Gallon community tank.
    55 Gallon Cichlid in progress.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    29 Gallon, Planted with my Panda Garra fry.
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    A turkey baster is a great tool. I use it to feed my corals, suck up something not wanted in my tank, and acclimate stock. The larger the tank the higher up my arm the water wets but it still works. A very handy tool.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.