· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

very helpful! - salman   For your awesome math post, lol. You deserve it - Mark Lathrop   【ツ】 - korith   For helping the turkey cross the road - mommy1   Thanks so much for your help! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    It had been a few days since I added any water, and about a week since most of it was added. So no prime was added within the 24 hours prior to adding ammonia. Thanks for the advice bean_there. Since I'm using the Dr. Tim it I'm not sure what the percentage is for the calc. The manufacturers website lists the concentration of Total Ammonia-Nitrogen as 50mg/l and the dose of a "drop" as 0.5 ml.

Do you all think that I have enough ammonia to start the cycle, or should I bring it higher? It gets difficult to read at the higher concentrations.

I do like crypts a lot, so I will probably use a smattering of them. I also really like the suggestions of anubias and bananna plants. There are a couple of small java ferns growing on the driftwood currently, hopefully they pick up as well. And I can always spare some moss from the shrimp bowl.

On a side note, it doesn't look like the shrimp survived the stress of moving, but the Malaysian trumpets are going strong. I'll probably get some more shrimp once the weather is warm enough, but I'm also considering moving both pieces of driftwood and all the plants into the 13g tank for a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

very helpful! - salman   For your awesome math post, lol. You deserve it - Mark Lathrop   【ツ】 - korith   For helping the turkey cross the road - mommy1   Thanks so much for your help! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just thought I'd post an update on my cycle. I'm astonished at how quickly the ammonia went down to 0.

I did include some mature substrate from a few other tanks that I had kept moist in a zip-lock bag, but I didn't really expect that to work. I did it more because I had included organic soil in a few vases as an experiment, and realized that the process had "mineralized" the soil and it would be a nice boost for the plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So for stocking, I'm thinking the CPD and pygmy cories. How many of each should I go for? On one hand it's only 13g, but it is well filtered and 24" long.

Here is a little mock up of what I'm thinking for plants. I'd like to try to add a greater sense of depth since it is only 7" deep.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    CYCLED!!!

I'm working of finalizing my stocking list (planning to order from TWS):

Fauna: 11 Danio margaritatus, 7 Cory habrosus (Please provide some advice on these numbers!)
    Flora: Crypts (a few varieties, definitely parva and wendtii) and some anubias of various sizes.

I'm not sure if TWS is the best place to order plants, but it seems like I might save on shipping by ordering from them.