· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 46 Gallon Bowfront

0 Not allowed!
    It's been a while since I posted since I had to get out of Saltwater for a while, but I've recently started to re-enter the world of salt. I'd been focusing on a few nanos, but was shopping at my favorite LFS, and they had a refurbished 36 gallon with a stand, lid, and fluval cannister filter marked down to 100, which I could not resist, so I purchase it and take it home to measure to discover it was actually a 46 gallon!

My eventual plans are to give it a reef octopus HOB skimmer I got on the back, a AI Sol Hydra LED light on it and maybe work out an algae scrubber, I'm still making my mind up on what corals I want, but I know I'll have several clams. I don't have it set up in photographable form yet, so instead, here's a pic of my nano 3 gallon

10013851_10101937805988229_2146984978_n.jpg

These are also LEDs so sadly it doesn't give you a great idea of the color, but oh well.
    كل نفس ذائقة الموت ثم الينا ترجعون

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was considering using this to mount the light: http://www.amazon.com/AI-Upright-Inc...+sol+ext+mount

Will this work with a ai sol hydra and will it work on the back of a standard 46 bowfront?

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to see you back here

I've never used any like that on my AI fixtures

As your tank is 36 inches long, you might need two hydras to get even and good enough light throughout the tank to support your clams. The standard AI mounting rails designed to sit on the top of the tank might be better in that situation
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What if I went with a hydra 52? Those should have a 36 inch spread according to the website,

0 Not allowed!
    The light may reach a width of 36 inches (mostly due to the 80 degree angled lenses), but the par valve will drop a lot the closer you get to the 36 inch width. This will result in a drop in par values from ~300 directly under the unit to 50 or less near the outer edge of the 36 inch range (as stated on the AI website). This will give you a uneven light and likely some shadows as well. If you want several clam, you will need to place at least some of them near the edges of the tank were they will not get enough light from a single fixture centered on the tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I may be able to invest in one eventually, but it'll take a while. Think it could be supplement with T-5's in the meantime?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    20140401_181858.jpg The tank is set up and filled with all the two year old live rock from my 29. Right now I've got a heater and one Hydor in it, but I'm gonna look into getting a fairly powerful powerhead as well. Anyone have any thoughts on if wave makers would add anything?

0 Not allowed!
    It all depends in the type of setup you are going for. I personally really like wavemakers as it helps to prevent crud from settling in the corners and typical low flow areas which helps to keep your water parameters in line. The below link can help explain things a little better.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/the...nd-movement-2/

A tunze nano wave waker would work pretty good in a tank that size

Are you planning to add more rock ?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah, I'm gonna add some dry rock to seed here in a bit. I also have a bit more live. And would a tunze work with Hydors?

Also, I set up my reef octopus HOB. It is the best dang HOB skimmer I've ever used. Already collecting waste and no bubbles are getting back into the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashurbarnipal View Post
    . And would a tunze work with Hydors?.
    I'm not too sure on what you are asking here. You can mix any different types of powerheads in your tank. The only thing that will not work is if you want to use a controller. For example, the controller for the tunze wave box can also control another tunze controllable powerhead, but that controller will not work for any other branch of powerhead

Does that answer your question ?