· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Guppy/Endler hybrids?

0 Not allowed!
    I purchased what I thought was a swordtail guppy a few months ago, but he was always much smaller than the rest and I just assumed he was of a different variety. Now, I realize, he looked just like pictures of Endlers I see on the Web. As far as I know, he has one surviving offspring, but I can only tell because he has similar coloring, but no swordtail. Since I don't have any other Endlers, is it possible that this is a hybrid? If so, what will happen if I breed him with another guppy?

0 Not allowed!
    it is very possible for guppies and endlers to interbreed. supposedly the endler actually only is a subspecies of guppy. what happens when you breed an endler with a guppy is you just get a mutt with variable traits.
    however, due to the imperiled captive population of genetically pure endlers, as well as the fact that (due to development of the area thy were found in) they are believed to be very endangered or extinct in the wild, large scale breeding of endlers with guppies is not recommended.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ... however if you already have a hybrid and you're just breeding a few little fish for yourself, it does no harm ;)
    In the end, after a few generations, they turn out as smaller guppies ...
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, guys! So I'm assuming he would have inherited his father's small size? He is still young, but is it possible that he will not grow very big?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by triplet 1 View Post
    I purchased what I thought was a swordtail guppy a few months ago, but he was always much smaller than the rest and I just assumed he was of a different variety. Now, I realize, he looked just like pictures of Endlers I see on the Web. As far as I know, he has one surviving offspring, but I can only tell because he has similar coloring, but no swordtail. Since I don't have any other Endlers, is it possible that this is a hybrid? If so, what will happen if I breed him with another guppy?
    All 3 of my endler hybrids have different tails. They do indeed mix with guppies. I get over a hundred mixed fry every month. I haven't kept any of the male fry yet to see how they turn out when mixed.

Here are my males:

Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    All 3 of my endler hybrids have different tails. They do indeed mix with guppies. I get over a hundred mixed fry every month. I haven't kept any of the male fry yet to see how they turn out when mixed.
    Steve, the photos of your endlers tipped me over the edge. I had been thinking about getting some for a long time but never saw any in stock locally. Welllll.... I stopped by my LFS yesterday and he had 6 males which I believe are Poecilia. At any rate, they came home with me. I managed to snap a photo of a single (they all look like this) and posted here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=112307&page=7. It's now a 15 gal planted tank. The photo is no great shakes - a little fuzzy and the colors aren't as brilliant as they are in person.
    would love it if you would stopped over to that thread and tell me what you think I've got.
    (sorry for the HiJack, triplet :o)
    Last edited by fishmommie; 03-29-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492