· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battling ick for 2 months now. Exhausted ALL treatment. Any Advise?

0 Not allowed!
    I am seriously ready to throw in the towel (or the fish) I have battled ick for atleast 2 months. Tried salt and heat, then meds. ALL meds. Ick almost goes, then reappears. Have NOT introduced any new fish. My poor fish have fungus now from battling ick so long. I have 29 gallon. 4 platys, 5 danios, 3 mollies.
    Allergic to all things furry.

0 Not allowed!
    I know you all need to know tank parameters, but other than slightly high ammonia from the meds killing the bio filter, the rest are fine. I have added some Prime. Have had the tank for 3 years. weekly water changes. I got 2 new platys a little over 2 months ago, added them to my main tank, big mistake. Then I had ick about a week later.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh dear, really sorry to hear it.

The only med that worked for me was eSHA EXIT ... so I can recommend that one.

Have you lost any fish?
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

0 Not allowed!
    I have not seen that med here in Canada....... I have lost my group of 4 tetras and my brislenose pleco...... :(

Awards Showcase

10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass 
    Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 
    For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried JUST heat, 86F?...you need to maintain that temp for 2 weeks AFTER all signs of ich are gone
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, any treatment you start needs to continue for a few weeks after seeing the last sign of ick on a fish - this is because the parasite can live (and multiply) in the substrate and that's where it's killable (unless you know this already).

Many people here have had luck with high heat, though, it's not uncommon to lose some fish in the process. The high heat prevents the parasite from reproducing. I also got ick from new fish (that's generally the cause) - I used Kordon 100% natural Ick Attack.

So, when you say your other parameters are fine that means the nitrites are 0 and the nitrates are 20ppm or less?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Oh dear, really sorry to hear it.

The only med that worked for me was eSHA EXIT ... so I can recommend that one.

Have you lost any fish?
    It's a good product but not sold outside of Europe.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    It's a good product but not sold outside of Europe.
    Thanks for the info - will remember not to recommend it outside of Europe!
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    You can try qting the fish in a barebottom tank and treating them there. I would move your filter over with them cause when treating them for ick in there i would nuke the tank with as much heat for as long as you can. I did this for snails once but the same idea can be used here. If you do this then 2 times a day i would stir the substrate good. I kept my tank at 105*f when i did my snail kill lol.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I had an outbreak or Ick right before I had to leave for a week. I had no idea what I was going to do since there was no way I could keep up a med schedule and I didn't know anyone I trusted to do it. So I just added some salt, turned the lights out and left. I came back expecting the worst, but all my fish were alive with not a trace of Ich. All I can think of was that little bit of salt started the killing and leaving the lights out for so long might have helped keep the fish less stressed, thus less prone to more infection. Maybe I was just lucky and it would never happen like that again. But you could try leaving your lights out while this is going on.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.