· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stocking a 20 Gallon Tall

0 Not allowed!
    For the past few months I've had an extra 20g tall tank, that was used as a nursery/hospital tank for my mbuna before I went to an all male setup, sitting empty and I've finally decided to stock it and use it in my home office. I spend a large amount of time working from there, so I'd rather it be an awesome tank setup. Problem is I'm having issues figuring out what to stock it with.

My other tank is a large mbuna tank and my fish history is really just with cichlids so I want to stay away from those (even though I can only think of two that would work in something that size). My first thought was a Male Betta since I've read that these can be very active and beautiful fish, but I don't want to just have one fish (or one fish and some smaller cats) due to compatibility issues. I've also read the same thing about dwarf puffers. The more fish the better as long as I'm not overstocking, and I'm also not a fan of silver/grey colored fish. I also considered Kuhli Loach, but haven't done much research on them

I know, I'm picky :P

So basically... looking for 20g tall stocking ideas. No cichlids, no grey/silver fish. The more colorful and active the better. Also the more unique the better. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ProfessorChimpo; 03-27-2014 at 02:04 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Unique tends to also mean expensive and hard to care for. Not sure whether that is what you want. Your description fits best with the danios, small cyprinids from Asia.
    Some species can be uncommon in The hobby, although all tend to be undemanding. Most species, excepting the smaller ones are downright hyperactive, and many also sport beautiful colors.
    For a species recommendation, look up danio choprae. Not vey common, very colorful once mature, small and not too active for a 20 gallon.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There's a variety of Killifish that are very colorful and i rarely see them in petshops. Some Tetras but they're common. Africans Barbs. I know no cichlids but what u think about the cichlid rams

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    How about back to basics? My tank is a mix of neons, glowlights, and a betta---IMHO a gorgeous tank lol.

The glowlights might be too pale for you, but you can swap out a different species. There is just nothing like a neon for that bright blue shine; it's visible across the room. Plus, neons are small and swim at most levels of the tank...they won't mind not having as much square footage as a long tank.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 
    to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    In addition to a small school of something you could try one of the smaller Gourami ssp. Dwarf or Honey would be nice. My personal favorite (I think it would be ok in a 20) is the sunset color variant of the thick lipped gourami.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.