· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead barbs =(

1. Default Dead barbs =(

0 Not allowed!
    I got 4 juvenile tiger barbs on Sunday for my established 55gal, have had it running for over 2 years straight. I just found two of them dead in the same corner of the tank and have no idea as to why they would be dead. The rest of my fish are looking fine, eating normally and such. The other two barbs are hanging out on separate ends of the tank and keep running into the glass for whatever reason. I don't know my parameters, my test kit is expired for sure, but since my other fish have been doing well for so long I'd assume the tank is stable. Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your losses. In this case, it is most likely death from relocation stress, as everything else appears to be fine. The behavior of the remaining barbs could be explained by the stress of being in a completely new environment.

Another theory is that the barbs, both the deceased and the remaining, have been affected by drastically different parameters between the store tank and your tank, whether nitrate, pH, hardness, etc. even with acclimation, sometimes the differences are still great enough to harm fish. You are in the best position to determine whether this could be a possibility or not.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To make sure check the water parameters. And separate the others barbs. What other fish u have in the tank? Maybe they are stressed for for moving them and that is why they're running into the glass. Check the temperature. The tank could not be stable and maybe because the other fish have been there longer they don't die and the new one yes.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Found a third dead this morning. Now I only have one barb and idk if he's gonna make it or not. He looks fine, bright colors, swimming normally, mingling with the tetras and what not. I'm taking the dead barbs back to the LFS and having them check my water for me. I'll be buying a new test kit while I'm there. It never occurred to me to get a new one when mine expired since I've had zero issues for over a year. Will also be grabbing some new filter media to seed for a new quarantine tank. I'm just glad I kept my little 10gal now, will be quarantining any and all new fish from here on out. I've never had an issue with this LFS and their stock.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I've heard horror stories of the LFS telling people their water was "fine" when the ammonia was sky-high. Make sure you really trust they know what they are doing, or just test when you get home. A large water change (or two) can fix a lot of problems.

Were there any other barbs in the tank? 4 is not a big enough school to spread their aggression around....they may have died from one barb pecking them to exhaustion.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I had that problem back when I was fooling with barbs. A lot of them would die very soon after adding them to my tank and I had bought from two different stores. I've learned a thing or two and when I add fish I make sure to leave the lights out for a day just to keep them calmer. I've not had a problem with any fish I've added since then. Azurescriber is right though, they could be attacking each other to death, especially with only four barbs.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AquariumAddict View Post
    Found a third dead this morning. Now I only have one barb and idk if he's gonna make it or not. He looks fine, bright colors, swimming normally, mingling with the tetras and what not. I'm taking the dead barbs back to the LFS and having them check my water for me. I'll be buying a new test kit while I'm there. It never occurred to me to get a new one when mine expired since I've had zero issues for over a year. Will also be grabbing some new filter media to seed for a new quarantine tank. I'm just glad I kept my little 10gal now, will be quarantining any and all new fish from here on out. I've never had an issue with this LFS and their stock.
    Great idea! Make sure you get a filter that is good for at least 20gal and then once you run it (in your main tank) for a few weeks, it can be used on the spare tank whenever you need it.

I use a 5gal for quarantine purposes - put the fish in after acclimating for temp & pH and the light stays off, no feeding for 24 hrs - change the water often and leave the tank bare bottomed - very important to check water parameters daily in a smaller tank. Fish are usually "skittish" once taken out of a bag - they hide or dark around anxiously - quarantining allows them to settle down & relax plus watch for potential stress-related illness.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got my new media in the tank now.. hopefully it doesn't take forever. My pH tested at 6.2 which is a lot lower than I remember it being even 6 months ago. I watched the girl test it so I know she did it properly. I got a new master test for home so I'll be treating everything myself in just a little while. They were the only barbs in the tank, but they were the smallest fish in the tank and I hadn't noticed any aggression between them. Now I wonder if it was my pH that killed them, the LFS has a pH of 7 exactly. They recommended using pH Up in my quarantine tank, once its up and running, and slowly letting it adjust it until it matches my own... any advice as far as that goes?

2 Not allowed!
    Don't do it - fish can adjust to pH in your tank as long as you slowly add tank water to what's in the bag with them - people order fish all the time from places in different states/countries - they are all acclimated to your local water.

It pays to read about acclimating fish properly unless you are already doing that. Some people drip acclimate - I usually add a small amt of tank water to the bag at a time over a period of time about every 5-10min, spill water out when it gets too high, then when I think they are doing well, I net the fish out of the bag.

The problem with a fish store testing water is that they use strips which aren't very accurate - a liquid kit is the best and most stores don't use them - what did the employee tell you? Did she say "your water is fine?" It's important to know exactly what the parameters are - they might be fine but you won't know until you test yourself.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    She used an API liquid test. She said my water was at a 6.2 and my test shows it at 6.0. The LFS is on city water and I'm on a dug well. The last thing I want to do is mess with my main tank. Is it really bad that my pH is that much different from the LFS? My water tests out at 6.0 pH, <.25ppm ammonia before I did this weeks water change, <.25ppm nitrite, and 0ppm nitrate.