· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

Default Controlling breeding.

0 Not allowed!
    So my co-worker has a tank in her office and she has guppies in it. They are doing what guppies do and that is breed like crazy. She loves them but doesn't really know much about fish. (I clean the tank for her). I keep telling her I need to separate the male from the females but she likes them too much. The tank is a ten gallon HEAVILY planted with four adult guppies (one male and three female). I was wondering if there was a fish that could fit comfortably with those guppies and would eat the babies?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You might be able to keep a betta with them. But is the thank is heavily planted then you might want to take out some plants it gives the baby's a place/places to hide. Guppy's will eat there baby's. But if the tank ha a lot of hiding places some baby's will live. With the betta just be careful about fin nipping I have never really had a problem with it. You could also get some dwarf frogs not african clawed frogs. The dwarf frog will eat the baby's just make sure it can't eat the guppy. Almost any fish you add to to the tank will eat the fry.

0 Not allowed!
    For a 10 gal she'd be better off with a male only tank. Those babies are going to have babies etc, etc. So either you're going to have to keep removing babies or quickly become overpopulated and face a potential tank crash. With 3 females there will be a lot of fry.

My guppies didn't eat their fry and I had to set up another tank to separate males and females. It was never ending removing males. Eventually, I did have a tank crash in my male tank as I had too many and no where else to put them.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    In my 55G it's the neons that eat most of the babies, as far as I can see. My guppies never really seem to bother. I am down to 1 survivor per month, average as the neons are FAST. The betta was never really fats enough - he would give chase but give up very quickly, esp if the babies went into plants. In a 10G you are quite limited, so I would personally rehome the females and get the most beautiful males as permanent tank residents and leave it at that.
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Almost anything will eat them, but the problem is finding something as fast and persistent enough to catch them. In a 10g, those options are very few. Separating them is the best and most responsible option.

IMHO, a frog is way too slow and blind to eat fry.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can convince her to do. Hopefully I'll get her to understand that if I don't move one or the other she'll soon have none at all.

0 Not allowed!
    With ten gallons, your options are incredibly limited. If you do find a good fry eater, be sure to let us know, I wouldn't mind a few myself.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Since its heavly planted and only 4 guppies id say a small.school of neons would take care of any fry that come up.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    What about a couple of bucktooth tetras? haha Problem solved!!!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    I think those would kill the other guppies