· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Starting Saltwater No Clue

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 14 gallon freshwater which I would like to convert it to saltwater.The thing is I have been trying to do research on the subject but I would like people opinions on how I would start it.I would like to have fowlr because I'm not experienced enough to has a reef.Over here in Ireland they don't sell reverse osmosis where I live an I don't think the pet shop sells salt for a saltwater aquarium,so please help.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in a similar situation as you (though I live in Canada, so I do have a little more access to things than you). The first thing I would suggest is see if you can get a chemical analysis of your water from the provider. It may be hard to find, but it should be public information. Especially since it sounds like that's the water you'll have to work with, that'll be the deciding factor I whether or not you should it.
    Joseph Granata
    My current 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My upcoming 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry, your post is a bit confusing. You can't buy salt locally? Is there an online store you can purchase it from, or are you planning to use water from the ocean?
    If you don't have access to proper salt, I don't see you starting any kind of saltwater tank at all.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How am I going to use saltwater from the ocean

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    you take it from the ocean and put it in your tank, if you have access. Being in Ireland perhaps you are close enough to the ocean for that to be an option. If not, how do you plan on obtaining/creating saltwater for your tank? You generally need to do weekly water changes just as you do in freshwater, so you need a sustainable source of saltwater.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What if there's parasites in the water

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do live right up from a beach

0 Not allowed!
    Using natural sea water is very popular in the UK.

Perhaps the below links could help

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=567287

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...ank-map-listed
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I am going to go by the natural sea water idea as buying salt online over here is very expensive an my budget doesn't allow that as I'm only 14.But I still have this question.What equipment will I need?Also what fish could I keep in it?By the way I'm getting live rock.
    Thanks.

This is my beach around here
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396032579.236766.jpg

10. Default Starting Saltwater No Clue

0 Not allowed!
    Could I put in firefish and how much?This is the fish I am looking at.Could you give me any other suggestions as I am still trying to find good fish for the tank.
    Last edited by Timthegoldfish; 03-28-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast