· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Filter question

1. Default Filter question

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I bought a beautiful 55gal tank/stand/hood from someone. It came with everything under the sun...except it only has a marineland HOB filter. I'm looking into getting a canister filter, but not sure where to start as far as brand, size...etc. Can anyone offer any idea's here? Thanks so much!

0 Not allowed!
    A canister is the right way to go for heavy stocking like Africans.
    I have so far only had experience with eheim and fluval canisters, but I can rcommend both as good options. My experience with both is as follows.

The eheim has a very large biological filtration capacity, is quiet and is very simple to maintain. However, it is a high priced filter and also has a low flow rate in comparison to its size.

The fluval has proportionally a much higher flow rate, and is also a bit cheaper than the eheim, but I've found it takes more time to maintain and IMO also lacks the massive biofiltration capacity of the former. Not that it has inadequate capacity though, just not as much.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another good brands that lots here use is the Rena brand. It has large baskets for biofiltration and is pretty easy to maintain too once you get it primed the first time. Also doesn't break the bank. I run a rena xp large and an additional cannister on my 75 gallon african tank. It seems like a lot but those herbivores sure make a lot of waste. A lot of times you can catch it on sale on amazon for a little over $100. Only downer is that you have to buy more media because it doesn't come with enough.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I have an APS canister -- for the price, it's amazing although I accept it won't last as long as a better brand. I am saving up for a similar canister of a better brand. Mine is 1400LPH and boy does it flow. Practically waves a wave. Not for every fish, but mine love it (on 200+ L tank).
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have an Eheim classic and Fluval FX6 and are great brands. Although they're rated for Biggers aquarium. I read that the sunsun are economic and are great, but I never have used one.

0 Not allowed!
    I have an eheim and I love it. Very simple and dependable

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 API Filstar XP-Ms (Rena) and love them so far. For your 55 gal, either 2 XP-Ms, or an XP-M and an Aquaclear 110 HOB. Either setup would give excellent filtration.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

1 Not allowed!
    I don't think you'd need 2 canisters for a 55. I have XP's as well and That's my vote as well. I think a XP2 (M) would do fine (rated upto 75g). If you were going to add something with the canister I would suggest a simple sponge filter. That's what I've done with mine.
    Angel breeder wanna-be