· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What filter are you using and had used?

0 Not allowed!
    I start using HOB. I think it was an aqua clear and a marineland. And I say wow this are the best filter ever. But right now I say I have upgrade to canister filters. I'm using right now a Fluval FX6 and a Eheim classic. The Eheim is a little more quiet than the Fx6. I have to put my hand in the top of both to see if they are working. They are great C filters, tell me what filter are or have used. Filters currently using are:
    Canister: Eheim classic, Fluval FX6

HOB: Eheim Liberty, Marineland Emperor 400, AquaClear

0 Not allowed!
    I started off with aqua clear filters back in 1993 to 1995 (can't remember exactly) when they first started to become popular where I live

Since then, I have used some of Hagen / Fluval internal filters and various Fluval and Rena canister filters.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    I tried jeabo off ebay. Worked great for about a year then it became super loud and anoying. Since then i have tried the sunsun filter on ebay. I like it so far but i recomend it unless it lasts a year or 2 without an issue
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass 
    To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 
    BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    AquaClear 30, Aquaclear 70, and Eheim Classic 2215....I want to try a Fluval HOB in the future
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    I've used every type of filter but sump, they scare me lol. Currently I have some AC filters of various sizes, a couple Rena canisters, XP2 and 3 and a Fluval 306 canister. I am not happy with the AC hob's anymore and I am upgrading all my filtration to canisters. I have some older AC110's that are fine, but it seems to me the newer ones I have are crap. The motors die, the housings crack, or they just don't have the pull I think they should.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    agree with Mommy1 on the ACs
    I, too have used HOBs (AC and Aqueon and Tetra)
    I now have 3 canisters - a Cascade and 2 API Filster (Rena) XP1 and XP3
    So far really like the Rena. Very quiet and lots of flow. The only thing with the Rena if you want a spray bar, you're going to have do something DIY.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass 
    To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 
    BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    agree with Mommy1 on the ACs
    I, too have used HOBs (AC and Aqueon and Tetra)
    I now have 3 canisters - a Cascade and 2 API Filster (Rena) XP1 and XP3
    So far really like the Rena. Very quiet and lots of flow. The only thing with the Rena if you want a spray bar, you're going to have do something DIY.
    You get an A+ for today!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You get an A+ for today!
    Oh drat. I didn't mean to spell AqueAn correctly. Ruined my rep. Now Larry is going to think he's reformed me.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Canisters: Marineland 220, Marineland 160, Fluval 306, Sunsun 302

In my opinion, the Fluval is the best filter of that lot if you aren't taking cost into consideration. The Sunsun is amazingly inexpensive and nearly silent, so it does offer great value for the money. The marineland filters are good filters, but cost twice what you would pay for the equivalent Sunsun. I have no complaints about the performance of any of these filters.

I don't like HOBs, but I do have one tank at home that uses them because there's no place for a canister where we have that tank set up. I run an Aquaclear 50 and a Marineland Penguin 200 on that one. Aquaclear is the only brand HOB that I would even consider if I were in the market for another HOB, and it's the only one that I personally think offers decent filtration. The penguin seems like a good filter in theory, but in practice, the biowheel often stops turning and dries out quickly on one side, effectively killing off a significant percentage of your BB. You have to check it every day to make sure the biowheel is still turning. I wouldn't buy another one.

My wife has a 55 in her classroom that a parent donated, and I maintain. It's got a couple of HOBs, a Tetra and a Top Fin, don't recall the model number of either offhand. I plan to buy her a Sunsun canister for that tank and chuck those filters in the spare parts bin.

The Aqueon HOBs that I've used are complete garbage. The pump motors constantly separate from the filter housing and fall into the tank (thankfully the pump goes inside the tank and not outside the tank. I've had two of those and think they're right next door to useless. They're both in my spares box and I would never use them except temporarily in the case of an emergency.

-S

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is what I have running right now, 3 rena xp3 (large), 2 eheim ecco 60, 1 aqueon 55/75, 2 marineland 200b, ac50, ac 30, and a tetra internal 10-30.

My thoughts on them, the rena- mine did not come with spraybars so I just have nozzels, I made a mess first time priming because it was hard for me to reach, now they work great and are easy to clean because I can lift the baskets out and dunk them in my bucket.

The eheim, were cheap when I got them, only $75 each for eheim brand, also use baskets so it is easy to swish the media around, also came with more biomedia than would fit in it, also had a nice handle to carry to the tub.

The aqueon, self starts and has lots of power, takes up a little more tank room because of the motor, lifetime warranty and was super easy to get.

The marineland- have not given me any problems in their 2 years of constant use, hard to put a prefilter sponge on because intake is weird shape.

The ac, nice media capacity but super touchy for me, I have a box of spares so I can swap them out if the don't want to start, I will not be buying anymore of these.

The tetra, basically indestructible but takes up a lot of tank space.