· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Kribensis pairing

0 Not allowed!
    While at t the pet store I saw an amazing looking kribensis. I already have a make one and luckily this one was a female.

I put it on hold.
    The thing is it already had fry and I'm wondering if it can pair with my male, or at least get along with it and if it's OK if I separate it from her fry.
    This is all in a twenty gallon.
    I recently realized that it's actually twenty three when I measured it.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    i have found out that they choose one mate and stay together until one dies or disappears.
    obviously the male is out of the picture with this kribensis.
    what i haven't been able to find out is that if they can pair or get along with another male after the original male is gone.
    have found little information on if i can seperate her from her fry.
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

0 Not allowed!
    The fry will probably die without her but yes she will probably breed again with your male -- if your male wants to pair up with her.

I once lost my male t-bar cichlid after he had been with his mate for 3 years. I got the female a new male and they paired up and had fry within a week.

0 Not allowed!
    i don't want to be response-able for the death of the fry, will they still die even if they are in the tank alone(they are).
    how long would i have to wait until the fry are independent if they still will die?
    i will probably pick it up this weekend (probably Saturday)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I separated my fry from their parents as soon as they were free swimming, had no issues at all

0 Not allowed!
    well that's great.
    i have a few questions if they breed.
    i've read that i need to remove all fish in the tank if they breed AND on another site to add a dither fish, which should i do?
    can i leave my oto's in there if they breed (don't have food or them in my other tank)?
    thanks

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To be honest, I ran into the same problems, as far as finding info on them. I started a thread in the dwarf cichlid forum, which I would link if it wasn't on mobile, about my adventures into fry rearing. I did end up adding dithers, not that the stock I had couldn't take the beating, but I would rather they hound something quicker that they couldn't catch up too. I would imagine oto's will be fine, as they're pretty docile and not as likely to cruise into forbidden territory. I did how ever take the fry out of the tank after around 3 weeks, and put them in a 10 gallon to grow them out until they are selling size. I also added ghost shrimp to the tank the parents were in, as they could chase them endlessly, and in the event they caught one it was a free snack, and that's actually helped a ton.

0 Not allowed!
    Would you consider neon tetra a dither fish.
    To me it's on the border line.
    I'll probably take them out and add a platy or two if they decided to breed

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've used them as dithers for a small severum before with no issues. I have serpae's, haven't run into any issues with them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got her today and everything seems okay.
    Despite what happened with her during acclimation.
    While I was floating her in the tank ( decided not to drip acclimate since pH was the same) I decided to take my dog for a walk and when I can back she was in the tank with the bag inside the tank too.
    But all seems well