· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Jungle Val roots rotting or turning brown? Help

0 Not allowed!
    I was doing my water change tonight and decided to take a close look at my jungle vals because they had been losing more and more leaves the last couple of days, anyway, most of the roots are or have turned brown which I can only assume means they're rotting. Can I save them at all? I pulled one of the crowns out and it now has no leaves and only a few white roots. Can I cut the brown roots off and replant the crown? I know not to bury the crown but the few I found brown had their crowns under the gravel (over time I guess the were slowly pushed further down.) so I know why they turned brown I think. Really my only question is can I save them?
    37g Freshwater 1 Angelfish, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Cardinals, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Amazon Sword, Java moss, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    More dosing and possibly have the lights on longer
    29 gallon High-Tech Specs
    96 watt Quad T5HO
    Pressurized CO2(1 bps)
    Black flourite sand (60 lbs)
    I have 8 adult guppies, and an insane amount of babies
    Crazy High plant load (Jungle!)
    Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=115692

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I'll keep the lights on longer. But what should I dose with? I currently use API liquid CO2 but found that that actually melts the leaves. I also use root tabs.
    Live Plants Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Amazon Sword, Java moss, Moneywort, and Bronze Wendtii.

0 Not allowed!
    It's worth a shot.

Sorry if I had missed this, but are you using root tabs ? If not, that would certainly help the remaining healthy roots get enough nutrients to recover. ?

Liquid ferts are not all that effective on root feeding plants like vals and I too have found that excel (like CO2 additive) caused by vals to decline. My vals did best when I kept up on giving them root tabs
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I do use root tabs. Are there any liquid ferts I can use with Vals? I have many other plants in there and plan on getting more that could really use liquid ferts and don't benefit much from root tabs.

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe try more root tabs and replacing them with new ones more often

I don't know of any liquid ferts that will do a lot for vals. When the only live plants that I had in my tank were vals, I never did use any type of liquid fert and the vals did so well they really took over the tank. But I did use a lot of root tabs, more than what the instructions on the box suggested.

What type of gravel do you have ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pea size rounded gravel. Not sure the technical name for it... I'm not really looking for a liquid fert that would improve the vals growth at all, just one that won't melt them and provide nutrients for my other plants. Other plants being Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias Nana, and Amazon Swords. I've put 6 root tabs within 1 inch of each of my 6 vals. 3 are brown and 3 are not. But they all seem to be losing leaves. The brown ones don't have any leaves on them anymore.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Vals dont need root tabs, all I use in my tanks is JBL Ferropol weekly fertilizer and my vals grow like crazy. I put 1 plant in my new nano tank and in less than 2 weeks it had sprouted 5 additional plants around it.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!