· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Which catfish can I have in my tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking to keep some cichlids such as.....yellow labs and other semi/middle aggressive's. What catfish can I put in with them? I quite like the Angelicus and the Red Tail. Thanks for any input! =)

1 Not allowed!
    those cichlids you are thinking of aren't semi-agressive. african cichlids as a group are probably the high end of aquarium fish agression.
    when you select fish make sure you look at potential size as well. I am not 100% sure what fish you are referring to by angelicus(is it a synodontis?)
    but I can tell you that a redtail grows to 5 ft. and requires less a tank and more a pond. some of your other preferred fish also get pretty large, such as frontosa.
    For your tank a group of mbuna and maybe some synodontis are probably the best way to go.

0 Not allowed!
    Synodontis are the best bet, just make sure to pick a lake species and not a river species. If the tank was bigger then you could also consider rehoming one of the common plecs your fish shop has that's looking for an appropriate sized home.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you everyone!! Yes the Angelicus is a synodontis as from what I have googled. It's a black cat with white dots. Thanks for the knowledge on the "lake vs river" cats...and the growth size of the red tail, I wasn't aware but definitely wouldn't have purchased without this knowledge anyway. I'm just trying to figure out what I am going to have LONG before I buy! Catfish sorta creep me out....so I was looking for a species that wasn't to hard to look at! LOL ;)

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Confused as to why you'd want one if you don't actually like them?
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 8x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 4x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta, 2x Indian glassfish & Pops the purple Apple snail

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LOL I don't....my oldest son (22yrs) wants one and I sorta agreed that it would be fine, if it were compatible and not to hard to look at! ;)

1 Not allowed!
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=857 is an attractive fish and should work in a small group with your tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Good suggestions above. If you want a pretty cool looking catfish that can handle more aggressive fish, you might consider Platydoras armatulus. They get to a decent size and are pretty well armored. When they do come out (usually at night), they're pretty fun to watch, too. I'd get at least 2 to keep them comfortable.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.