· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default "driftwood" question

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone. My question has to do with "driftwood". I wouldn't really call what I am using in my 20 gallon FW livebearer tank as "driftwood". It is hardwood that came to me from a dried up river bottom that I boiled for over two hours and then soaked even longer. I put it in my tank just now and it immediately sank. However, my question is this, other than maybe running activataed carbon, how can I get the smell that it's creating out of my water ? My pH is 8.0 and the tank is fully cycled and parameters are within normal ranges.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Since it sank immediately then it was pretty well water logged before you got it which means it is holding a lot of water from where it came from and you may not have gotten it all out in the boiling process. Now the rest is leaching into your tank and potentially causing the smell. Rot can be another factor. If there is any soft spots at all (usually discovered on the ends) then you have rot and that can also cause the smell. It probably won't hurt anything since you boiled it, but keep an eye out for anything weird. Besides the smell your water should turn brown with tannins, all I know to do is keep running the charcoal and perform large water changes to clear it out. Might take a few months depending on the size of the wood.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    What does it smell like? If it's a bit of an earthy/natural "forest" kind of smell, then that's what wood/plants/other organic decorations tend to impart on tank water.
    If the smell is unpleasant to any degree though, then that might be an issue, as well as a pine tree smell.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies so far. The wood isn't pine, I am sure of that, it's heavier and more dense. It stinks enough, "earthy", if you want call it that, to almost make me want to remove it. It almost smells like something died inside it but neither one of the two pieces are hollow.

0 Not allowed!
    If it smells enough to be unpleasant, it probably is an issue. Did it smell like this while you were boiling and soaking it?

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah that could be an issue. You might try boiling it again and then letting it sit in a bucket full of water for a while. If the water goes brown, change the water. If the smell doesn't go away after a while there might be something going on that you don't want in your tank. All my wood is sourced from the river and I'll be the first to admit that you really don't know what you're going to get.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did a little more, literally, nosing around, and when I was boiling the wood it stunk up my apartment-moreso than the smell in my tank, but similar. But, I noticed the bucket of water that I soaked the driftwoo in overnight last night did not smell but now that I put the driftwood in my tank it does smell. (?).

Awards Showcase

It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 
    TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have any carbon? I'd run it for a few days before yanking the DW out of the tank, can't hurt
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I think I've solved the driftwood problem-which I don't think was actually a driftwood problem afterall. Time to rinse out the old AquaClear filter sponge (boy, do I feel stupid). I'm sorry. Thanks everyone for the help.

Awards Showcase

It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 
    TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    LOL....no big whoop, we all have our little "duh" moments in the hobby, glad you got it figured out

When are we gonna see a pic of this "driftwood" in the tank?...pics are always welcome
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 03-24-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal