· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Please help, I'm having problems with shrimp molting

0 Not allowed!
    I know there are many post it there concerning this and trust me, I've read most of if not all of them and have yet found a solution to this craziness, please help, any help is appreciated, thank you.

In the past week I think I've lost about 5 out of the 50 red cherry shrimps I have and they all seem to have the same problem some die trying to molt and some were only able to molt just they body part but the head part gets stuck. I just found one today with half of its head shell lifted up a bit. He's still moving big a little so I put him in a separate tank by himself to see if he would make it or not. Before some of them die, they have a horizontal Crack from left to right side of their body (in-between were the head and body connects). I have a shrimp only tank(50ish red cherrys and 5 crystal Reds in 5.5 gallon tank with fluval underwater filter) that is planted and I use fluval plant substrate. The crystals are doing fine though. I feed them shirakura soft pellets every 2-3 days and white pellets by biomax or cucumber once a week. I also have a piece of catappa leaf in there.

These are my water perimeters:

Ph- 7.4 - 7.6
    Ammonia - 0 (since I use prime, the only way to test for free ammonia for me was to get the seachem ammonia alert that sticks to the side of the tank)
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 5
    Kh - 4 (drops before it turned color)
    Gh - 5-6 (drops before it turned color)
    Temperature - 23-26 Celsius through the day

I change water once a week with top water and use seachem prime to dechlorinate the water as well as fluval shrimp Mineral supplement since my water was really soft with no minerals. I also have a small Mineral rock in there.

I desperately need help since I have done everything I could including tons of online and in store(shrimp store that specializes in shrimp keeping) research but nothing is helping.
    Using Tapatalk

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if you can find a calcium test and a copper test, those would be very helpful with something like this. shrimp are more vulnerable to everything when molting so it can be many other things. also, even using prime, you can test for ammonia with any test kit. all prime dose is detoxes the ammonia and converts it to Ammonium that tests the same as ammonia lol. 3*c is kinda large of a swing. how good is your heater?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't use a heater because temp ranges from 23-26 on its own throughout the day. I use the API drip test for ammonia but it's not accurate. I read on seachems website that you can't test ammonia if your using Prime unless you have one that test for free ammonia and not total since prime changes ammonia to ammonium (free ammonia).
    Last edited by mztee; 03-23-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm planning on getting the calcium test though just to make sure they are getting enough
    Using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    What do you feed them?

0 Not allowed!
    Calcium is fairly important for inverts, for their exoskeletons. Usually molt as they grow in size, or sometimes when stressed it can cause them to molt early. The foods you mentioned feeding them is fine.

If you suspect other metals/minerals in the tap water, might be worth trying filtered water and see if that changes anything for a few weeks. For my shrimp tanks I tend to use ro/di, in my area I can't trust the city water. Sometimes in the spring the county dumps more chems in the water to treat for bacterial blooms at the water source. I lost a few shrimp tanks several years ago when something like that happened.

A bit pricy but you could buy a piece of polyfilter, it's usually marketed towards people who keep reef tanks. The polyfilter will absorb contaminants like minerals, metals, chemicals, etc... The great thing it will change colors depending on what it absorbs. It will turn a blue color if it takes up any copper. Here is a link so you can read up on it http://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Filt...FMMEPM-vi.html , should be able to find it in any fish store. Can just a cut short piece of the filter foam and put it in your filter.
    Last edited by korith; 03-23-2014 at 06:49 PM.

2 Not allowed!
    Doesn't sound like metal poisoning though. I'd say mineral shortage. Last time I had a round of that I just took some egg shell, peeled the membrane away from it, bashed it a few times and placed it in the tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, I don't think it's metal poisoning either, I'm leaning more towards lack of calcium or high tds which I haven't really tested yet and am looking into that.
    Using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    high tds usually means the same thing as high calcium, so it will be either or.
    I doubt that an undemanding species like cherry shrimp would have issues with hard or soft water, unless the area you live in has really extreme water parameters.

on the other hand, I've heard that chemicals leached from certain rocks(I think it was lava rock mentioned) will disrupt successful molting of crustaceans.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have really soft water, I think that's why
    Using Tapatalk