· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default 40 Breeder Upgrade

1 Not allowed!
    OK, not too much to see but my tank upgrade was successful today. No more 26 gal infested with MTS.
    Here's the 40 breeder with the Fluval C4 on the left and the AC50 on the right. Time will tell but
    so far I really do like this filter. You can see the size difference, so I'm guessing the C4 is maybe
    equivalent to an AC70?

Because of the silver dollars, these are all silk plants except for a few baby Java ferns tucked into the driftwood.
    Still a little cloudy but you get the idea. I'll need a longer light too at some point but for now this will do.
    There's 2 SD's, 4 long finned zebra danios, 1 blood fin tetra, 5 glolight tetras, and a male BNP. Not increasing
    any schools as I've had this combination for about 10 yrs, maybe a little more. They can enjoy what they have
    while they last but down the road will be looking for a change. Might just add a school of cories.
    Best thing about this upgrade is that the SD's no longer freak out when we approach the tank.
    I think it must have been something either about the bow front they were in or perhaps the lighting was too bright,
    because even while they were in a 20 gal holding tank without a light during the switch, they were quite calm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Congratulations!!! Even though you didn't want to add to the schools I guarantee it would look better and the fish would be happier if you had a school of 6-8 sand dollars, 6-8 danios and 6-8 blood find, you probably think they are happy now, but wait and see how happy they will be with the new additions.

0 Not allowed!
    I understand what you're saying, but at some time we all like to switch it up.
    10 years with the same combinations gets old. Silver Dollars live a long, long time
    as evidenced by my two here (8-10 years old) and I have many ideas of other
    species I'd like to keep in this tank down the road. I was almost tempted
    to add 2 more SD's when I saw some very young ones at the store a few days ago, but I
    resisted. I don't want to commit to another 10+ year for this one fish.

I already have 5 other tanks from 5 gals to 25 gals so adding any more is out of the question.
    I'll just be waiting this one out and enjoying it as is for now. But thanks for your comments.

0 Not allowed!
    I like the more natural look you have there, even if the plants are fake

It is amazing how some people do not think about the average life span the fish we keep can be when they are kept in proper conditions. Many of the fish that I am currently keeping have been found in the wild to live as long as 38 years

If you can not keep them in proper sized schools,then lots of hiding spots for them will also help them to feel calm and safe. Looks like you have that already
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    That tank looks awesome, great job Sue!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Matt and Cliff for your comments.

The driftwood could have been placed several ways, but I decided on this placement as it
    gives it a little height which does create a better hiding place behind it. One of the SD's
    likes to hang out there a lot. I see him a feeding time, and after lights out. The other SD
    is braver and is out front all the time. So, I am happy with the tank as is and feel
    these guys will live happily too.

Of course, I'm starting to think about what else I could add but I'm not going to rush into anything yet.