· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Does benefical bacteria need oxygenated water?

0 Not allowed!
    Im currently cycling a 6 gallon tank, im using a Fluval U1 filter but due to the output nozzles position + the height of the water and the tanks lid im unable to get the nozzle to the surface as the filter would stick up too much, so there isnt much surface agitation (there is a small amount of ripple but not much.) So im thinking the water wont have much oxygen in it over night, is this going to affect the beneficial bacteria?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    The bacteria we want to cultivate in our tanks
    Are aerobic, so yes, they need oxygen.while I don't think their requirements are as high as that of fish, it would help cycle a tank faster if you keep it well oxygenated.

0 Not allowed!
    Airstones are good for that if your filter doesn't break the water surface
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Right ok, i'll have to figure something out then. I dont really want to run an airstone as the tank is right next to my bed, so either the noise from the air pump will annoy me or the sound of bubbles breaking on the surface will!

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm cycling dual 29 gal tanks and have found that yes, oxygenation makes a difference when cycling your tank. If possible, aim the nozzle upwards, so it breaks the surface but doesn't make noise.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    At the moment the output does ripple the surface quite a lot but doesnt 'break' it. I did cycle my 29 gallon with this style output though so I dont see why it wouldn't work with this new one.

However my latest water tests have me confused.

I seeded the tank with some media from my 29 gallon, I tested the water on Thursday evening and I had Ammonia 2, nitrite 0.25. So I topped ammonia up to 4. Friday morning ammonia was at 2 so topped it up again to 4, but the nitrites (and nitrates) have been at 0 all day and on Friday night the ammonia is still at 4.

I would have thought the ammonia would drop and more nitrite would appear?

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    yYou need to wait until the ammonia drops to zero before adding the half dose.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    yYou need to wait until the ammonia drops to zero before adding the half dose.
    Yeah I think I messed up the cycle by putting too much ammonia in, because its such a small tank and filter I realised the amount of ammonia needs to be much lower so I did a water change and got it down to 1mg/l.

I went to my LFS today and they squeezed some of their sponges into a bag and told me to first dip my sponges in it then to pour it into my filter which I did. Hopefully this will get my cycle back on track.