· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Filtration Question

0 Not allowed!
    Thinking about ditching my HoB filter on my 36g BF. I have never had any other type of filter however and have no idea where to start. I have a cabinet below built into my stand so I could do a canister filter I think, but is that necessary for a 36g? Should I just stick with the HoB? It is the one that came with the tank which I think was rated for 75g. I use filter media/floss not the carbon filter garbage so that part of the transition will be relatively easy.

So the question is if you had a heavily planted 36G BF stocked with variety of tetras, GBR, BNP, ottos & panda garras what would be your top choice in filter? Only change to stock might be to add a female GBR if I could find one anywhere or bolster my schools of tetras so nothing major in the way of live stock changes.

Thanks for your input

1 Not allowed!
    I've not had any luck with canister filters (one died at 2 weeks old, the other leaked like a sieve) but with that said, people who use them love them and wouldn't have anything else. They allow a lot more media filter which is a major advantage. Personally I think that with a 36gal it is just a preference. If you like them, buy one and try it out.
    Steve
    50 Gallon -
    Endlers | Guppies | Blue Eyed Rice | Celestial Pearl Danios | Threadfin Rainbows | Peacock Gudgeon | Bronze Cory's
    Albino Cory's | Nerite Snails | Ghost Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

2 Not allowed!
    Either an API Filstar XP-M, rated for 75 gal or an Eheim Classic 2215, rated for 93 gal. I just set up 2 of the XP-Ms on my dual 29 gal tanks - extremely user friendly, totally silent if in a cabinet. I love mine. Either filter, with the included sponges and added biomedia, would give you great filtration. And you can use an inline heater.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Either an API Filstar XP-M, rated for 75 gal or an Eheim Classic 2215, rated for 93 gal. I just set up 2 of the XP-Ms on my dual 29 gal tanks - extremely user friendly, totally silent if in a cabinet. I love mine. Either filter, with the included sponges and added biomedia, would give you great filtration. And you can use an inline heater.
    Thanks for the input, I've read a few reviews and think I'm going to go with the Filstar XP-M. Do you think I need to buy anything additional or would the included media + my existing media be enough? I've never seen an in-line heater before either. Sounds interesting though.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I run several canisters and I absolutely love them. The only tanks that I run hobs on are on stands with no place for a canister. I just recently set up a 36 bow with a sun sun canister. So far I love that thing, it's just amazingly quiet.

-S

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 filstar XP-3's (L) and I love them. There are so many options for media... Personally I have 2 coarse pads and 2 blue bonded pads in the bottom bin, the middle bin I have biomax, and the top bin more blue bonded pads.

As far as your media now, you could put it in the xp but you'll probably want to add a bit more. You'll have a ton of extra room compared to a HOB.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a sun sun canister as well. I love it. I did a review on it that you can look up here.
    It my be a little much for a 36 though but they do come in smaller sizes.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair813 View Post
    I have a sun sun canister as well. I love it. I did a review on it that you can look up here.
    It my be a little much for a 36 though but they do come in smaller sizes.
    There is a SunSun canister rated for 75g which would probably be suitable for a 36g tank....it's literally HALF the price of the API Filstar XP-M on Amazon...is this a "get what you pay for" situation or should I go with the much cheaper option...hmmmm

0 Not allowed!
    I've been using a Fluval 305 on my tank for over 3 yrs - dead quiet, easy to clean - uses ceramic media, sponges and I stuff the bottom with pillow stuffing - 3 trays - no problems.

Everyone has their favorites.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b View Post
    There is a SunSun canister rated for 75g which would probably be suitable for a 36g tank....it's literally HALF the price of the API Filstar XP-M on Amazon...is this a "get what you pay for" situation or should I go with the much cheaper option...hmmmm
    That's the one I use on my 36. As I said, I love it. I'm also a big fan of the Fluval canisters, but they cost roughly twice as much.

-S