· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Rocks for Cichlid Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys! New to the website. It seems like there are a lot of helpful friendly people on here. Sounds like my kind of place. I have a questions about the type of rocks I can put in my tank and where to buy. I like the river rock look. The more rounded rocks then the sharp looking jagged rocks. Dark colored. Where is the best place to get these? I went to one of the local fish stores and they wanted like $4.00/lb. Which I think is ridiculous for a rock. Can you get these at a rock yard? Thanks!

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    Thats pretty much the going rate for a lot of rock. I would say texas holy rock is the best but its not cheap and not what you want.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116930 - this is a new thread - maybe ask them where they got their rock?

Also - you can collect wild rock however you risk pesticide, virus and bacteria if you dont cure it right. There are people here that can guide you through that once you get the rock.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

2 Not allowed!
    I can never make myself pay the crazy prices for rocks at the fish store. If you want just river rock looking substrate, hit up home depot or lowes for a bag of river rock, a large bag maybe $5-10. For larger rocks, I go to local landscaping place and from walks around forest trails. You can test the rocks with vinegar, if it fizzes don't put it in the tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith View Post
    I can never make myself pay the crazy prices for rocks at the fish store. If you want just river rock looking substrate, hit up home depot or lowes for a bag of river rock, a large bag maybe $5-10. For larger rocks, I go to local landscaping place and from walks around forest trails. You can test the rocks with vinegar, if it fizzes don't put it in the tank.

That is interesting. So just fill up a bucket with vinegar and drop the rock in? If it fizzes you can't put it in your tank? Good stuff. Thanks guys!

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    That would take a loot of vinegar. Just pour a splash on the rock

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrews View Post
    That would take a loot of vinegar. Just pour a splash on the rock
    Ok so I splashed some white distilled vinegar (hoping that is the right kind) on the rocks and nothing happened. Not ever doing this before I don't really know what to expect. Would it really fizz up? Kind of like putting peroxide on a cut? Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensparrow View Post
    Ok so I splashed some white distilled vinegar (hoping that is the right kind) on the rocks and nothing happened. Not ever doing this before I don't really know what to expect. Would it really fizz up? Kind of like putting peroxide on a cut? Thanks!
    Basically a few drops of vinegar on the rock, will tell you if there is carbonate around. Those types of rock will raise the pH and hardness of the water. The test isn't perfect but it is better than nothing.

Most rocks are probably fine, when in doubt post up a picture and everyone can chime in on it's suitability.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help! When I am done picking my rocks I will post some photos.