· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

Default Question about selling

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all - haven't been here in a while!

I am getting ready to move out of the country with my family and am going to sell all my aquarium stuff - tanks, stand, filter, all supplies (siphons, food, nets, buckets, etc.).

Assuming I know how much I spent on everything, what is a reasonable amount to charge for things that are a little over 3 years old - the hood of my 46gal is broken - it's glass in the front, plastic in the back (holes cut to accommodate the filter) and the glass part is a bit cracked (I stepped on it accidentally about 2 yrs ago) & I keep it attached to the plastic part with tape to keep the top of the tank covered.

Can I get away with charging half or is that not realistic?

Thanks for any input.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on where you live. In VA, people on craigslist usually sell their used stuff at a premium. The market sucks here for buyers. lol I imagine NJ is somewhat similar, given the outrageous costs of living (my parents still live there - I moved 10yrs ago, so the taxes, etc. are familiar to me).

Where are you moving, anyway? We've missed you around here!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    For a 46g with everything included I would start at $300 and see what sort of hits you get. Once you are settled in to your new home I hope you have time to stop in once in a while.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Years ago it used to be 50c a gallon... my the days have changed - for a 55gal glass only you are looking at 150 as fair value depending on the area... I would sell the whole 46gal tank with everyone for 350.

Mommy1 ninja'd me!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Half the original price sounds about right. But sometimes hard to get even that. In my area you can sometimes pick up a 50g with stand, filter and hood for under $100. See how prices are in your area on craigslist, price it a bit high early on to see if it goes, then start lowering the price as your moving date gets closer. Realistically I think maybe around $150, maybe more if you have a good stand for it. Will be hard to get anything back from all the extras like nets, food, chemicals, siphons and stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestion to check Craigslist - I did that and found many tanks in different areas (all over NJ & NY).

It appears that with everything I'm including, I could do quite well considering I'm selling a whole set-up plus other stuff. Time to take pics this weekend and post! I was thinking I'd do it here first for anyone who might be interested.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I gotta add that seeing some people's set-ups made me squirm - one person has a tall, narrow tank (you know, a fancy shape) with a pleco in it and a bunch of cichlids - they've been together for 2 years and the poster says "They are large fish" - I thought poor fish : (