· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Angry Convincing parents

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, about 3 years ago, I was (10-11) I had a 20 gallon aquarium. Well, sadly that lasted a about 2 weeks. The bottom glass cracked because we had "no-slip" things in the corners of the tank, so all the weight went to the middle, and eventually gave way. For the past 2 years, more so now, I've wanted a aquarium so badly! But every time I bring it up, they shoot me down, I now know all the nessesary stuff for maintaining an aquarium, and I've helped my friend with his 5 aquariums (water changes and taking care of them while he's away) but they never want to talk about it, I've shown them amazing freshwater fish, and they go "cool" and then immediately say "WE ARE NOT GETTING ANOTHER FISH TANK!" And I ask why, "because last time, we spent 600$!" (We bought the full kit w/ the stand and canopy) and I say, I can pay, which I can. My mom also said "if you get a job and pay for it", so I told her id get a summer job, and she won't let me get a job... What I'm going for is a 15-20 gallon cube aquarium, my local fish store has one that I'm in love with! I tried to get my dad to go into the fish store, but he won't... Please, if anyone has advice on how I can convince them, please, PLEASE give me it! Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    do you know about aquarium cycling? if not you should read the fishless cycle sticky in the cycleing part of the beginer section.
    if you get an allowance of some sort you can save that up till you can afford one like me.
    don't forget you can always buy used things from craigslist and get a great deal.
    i got my entire 10 gallon set up from craigslist for less than 40 bucks!
    if you have a birthday coming up you can spend your birthday money on a new set-up too.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

3 Not allowed!
    I'd advice you to let it rest for a while. Stop discussing it at every opportunity. Save what you can and in a few months start looking at craigs list. In the mean time, learn and study.

I've been in the hobby longer than you're old and I don't think I know everything that's necessary so there's probably plenty you can still learn.

Also see if the local fish store can use your help for a few hours a week. Likely to pay almost nothing but it could be fun

4. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Talldutchie gave good advice! A LFS may take care of your want for an aquarium for a bit. If I was you, I would put a lot of your money to the side and start saving for a car. Put a little to the other side for a future aquarium when you move out. Instead of a 15 or 20 gallon, you might be able to afford something fairly large like a 55+. What I've learned with aquariums is Go big or go home! It so much easier to maintain, stock, decorate, ect a larger aquarium. And more pleasing too! I'm about your age and I don't get an allowance, but I run my own small business. I put most of my money in an account for a car, and I leave about 20% as spending money. I have an aquarium now so have to maintain that along with other hobbies and costs. I'm hoping I'll have enough left over after the car to start a savings account for a larger aquarium. Definitely lay off of asking or talking about it, and be deserving of it and they might consider it as a birthday present if you're lucky! Hope I helped somewhat!
    I have more (and better) conversations with fish, dogs, and myself than I do with actual people.
    Myself, the fish, and the dogs all agree.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    The facts are you are 13-14 years old and your parents say no. We have no business getting involved. It is their decision and there is nothing we can/should say or do to change their minds. What you can do, is keep saving your money and keep learning about fish and this hobby, and maybe when you are older they will change their minds.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2 Not allowed!
    I have to agree with what others are saying - give it a rest for now. Enjoy your friend's tanks when you can, help him out when he needs it, and wait a while, saving what you can. When the time is right, your parents may come around and surprise you. But don't get annoying about it for now. That will only delay any positive thoughts your parents may come to have in the future.

As a parent of a now 27 yr old fine young man, when he was younger, "annoying" never wore me down.