· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 1.3 week old tank need tips algea problem

0 Not allowed!
    i have a green and brown algae problem in my tank and my nitrites are high 5.0 to be exact my tank is 1.3 weeks old i think it either finishing cycling or finished cause ever thing else is good expect my nitrite. i added some snails and blue legged hermit crabs i think 3 snails 3 hermit crabs. fish.jpg i have 4 clown fish made a newbie move by adding fish before it cycled

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest to let your tank finish cycling before adding anything else, even any CUC.

Try keeping the tank with the lights off until it has finished cycling. Once cycled, complete a few 20% daily water changes.

Do you know your current levels for: salinity, ammonia, nitrites, pH, Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium ?

What size is your tank and how much live rock are you using to cycle your tank with ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok just did test salinity 1.0023 pH 8.1 ammonia 0 nitrite 5.0ppm nitrate 10ppm don't have test kit for other things you mentioned. 45 pounds of live rock
    Last edited by quix14; 03-18-2014 at 11:43 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Is your salinity 1.023 or 1.0023 ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry my bad its 1.023

1 Not allowed!
    What you are seeing is most likely diatoms from the silicates being released by the new substrate

However, increasing your salinity to 1.026 will also help. This will help you to keep your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels higher. I would suggest to start testing those parameters after the tank is cycles and then adjust your weekly water changes from there