· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default fish for the pond

0 Not allowed!
    so normally i would put some feeder goldfish in my out door 50 gallon pond and when they get to big i give them to someone who has a large pond. This year though I got a 100 gallon pond liner that i am putting in the ground. I really don't want just goldfish in it though, i would really like something more, well not goldfish. I was thinking of maybe a theme for the pond like Asian, South American, u get the idea. One of the problems is i am in upstate new york and it gets cold. So maybe Asian would be good. If you have any ideas for the fish though that would be cool, i am already going to have 1 pleco, 7 goldfish, and 3 turtles that don't eat fish.

1 Not allowed!
    Is it going to be a heated pond?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I Was thinking about heating it or putting it in a sunny place and the fish would come in during the winter.

0 Not allowed!
    You probably would have to measure the temperature of the pond for the period you want to keep fish in it. If it stays above 16 degrees you have some subtropical options.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is/will be above about 16 degrees which is around 60 in Fahrenheit i had to check that because i use Fahrenheit. I was thinking maybe some occurs or parrot fish. The fish have to be fish that are not very slow or can move fast. Tats why my turtles don't eat my goldfish.

1 Not allowed!
    Certainly not oscars or parrotfish. The only cichlids that might be able to go in there are australoheros(chanchito, etc) and gymnogeophagus because they come from the far southern regions of South America.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok, but are there any fish or what fish would you recommend and i want something bright in color or not ordinary. I don't really like the goldfish pond image i want something different. but they have to be fast moving or no lazy so basically ready to run if my turtles want to eat them.

1 Not allowed!
    You could do Aphanius mento, which is the Spanish Killifish. You'd probably see a lot of them, as they're top dwellers. You could also keep a Paradise Fish. You could then keep a big school of Rosy Barbs and White Cloud Minnows if you wanted. Of course, taking everything inside would probably be an enormous hassle.

Better yet, a school of Spanish Killifish, a Paradise Fish and a big school of Black-banded sunfish.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 03-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok thanks i will look into those fish in the winter they would probably live inside in my indoor turtle pond.

1 Not allowed!
    Spanish killifish may be very hard to find. As far as I'm aware of they also are threatened, so if you really find some it would be a noble cause to devote a species specific breeding setup for them, instead of throwing them In a turtle tank.
    In terms of ease of finding, noth American natives are also pretty hard. The paradise fish is a good idea though.