· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Aquascape has me bummed

0 Not allowed!
    I am very saddened with my aquascape right now. My birthday is in 6 days and I am going to give myself a gift by redoing ost of the tank(left side and the foreground). A few other things are that I am having some algae problems and I have 2 shrimp I have not seen in a while. I have pressurized CO2 and a Quad T5HO at a total of 96 watts. I have a $45-$50 budget for the plants. I am thinking of Blyxa Japonica, Ludwigia Cuba, and maybe a carpeting plant. Here is a picture of my tank as in right now.
    Tank 3.2.14.jpg

Please recommend some plants, placement, and what you would recommend to do ith my Dwiftwood/Moss situation.
    Thanks you
    29 gallon High-Tech Specs
    96 watt Quad T5HO
    Pressurized CO2(1 bps)
    Black flourite sand (60 lbs)
    I have 8 adult guppies, and an insane amount of babies
    Crazy High plant load (Jungle!)
    Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=115692

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Start by painting the back of your aquarium black. Many people on here do this as it helps to make fish pop, add security so the fish aren't being viewed from all sides, and its aesthetically pleasing. I'd suggest getting a new piece of driftwood. I've seen a lot of bad looking setups and they always consist of that type of wood. It looks like a knotty piece of root, its unnatural and doesn't look good in an aquarium. Get rid of the wood. From what I can tell you seem to have a species of rotala in the middle, to the left of your wood. Maybe purchase more of that species and use it to fill in the back portion of the tank on the left and in the middle. If you start by doing these things your tank will definitely look better.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    10 Gallon Planted: 1x Apistogramma trifasciata, 8x Nannostomus marginatus
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I think the wood looks great, I would absolutely not get rid of it if I were you. How can a piece of wood look unnatural?

-S

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Black background like suggested. also keep the wood in the middle. I would put two tall plants on each side of it. Some medium plants next. Then a carpet plant in the front. Plant species ill leave up to you. Dustin's fish tanks has a lot of good plants for a good price.
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    By the way I love the black sand definitely keep that.
    55 gallon, 22 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Celestial Pearl Danios, 5 Sterbai Corydoras, 5 Gold Honey Gourami, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco

1 Not allowed!
    What do you want this aquarium to be? How big is? How about a bigger picture? As it stands now the right bit looks like a Dutch style scape just before the weekly pruning and the left is messy largely because it's all big leaf plants and of different shapes.

A good scape has very few focal points but those are rather obvious. On this one the only focal point is the wood and that's not the nicest part of the tank.

Head over to the tropica website and look at some layouts would be my advice. That site is great for inspiration

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with talldutchie. The tank just looks a bit jumbled and overgrown in some spots - you might try just shifting the wood to the side, and trim/move some plants around - a couple plants to screen part of the wood would soften the look of it a bit and not stop the eye there. No need for a total rescape unless you are looking to do something completely different.

1 Not allowed!
    Take out all of your plants...clean the tank very well and post a photo of only your piece of wood inside the tank. For a planted tank(minus dutch of course) you really need to start with a strong hardscape and plan/build your plants around that. You would be amazed how you could take all of those same plants and hardscape pieces and make a tank that looks 1000X better and totally different with improved placement.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Taking it all out and adding it back slowly is a great idea. You might find you don't need to drop more cash on it (unless you want to).

There are some aesthetic principals that suggest you move your center piece (the wood) either slightly off center or completely to the side. Try flipping it around to get a new look. Maybe add another small piece. Try to think in terms of levels when planting your scape. Tall in back, short in front will add depth to your tank.

Definitely get a background. I like black, makes the tank look simpler and tranquil.

Try lessening the duration of the light or feeding the fish less to help clear the algae.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    A quad T5 is an insane amount of light, I am curious if you have trouble with algae?

Also it is true that scaping a tank with one side of the tank being more heavily scaped than the other does prove to be more visually appealing. Doesnt really matter if it is 60/40 or 70/30 one side needs to be a bit more scaped than the other.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon