· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Electricity rates in Canada are much much higher than south of the border. That is based on having lived on both sides of the boarder.

Like Strider, my electric bill is closer to $250.00 to $275.00 a month mostly due to: in-floor heating in the basement (which is only set to 65F), using the electric stove a lot, and our fresh air circulater / de humidifier we have installed on the furnace intake.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    My electric bill is typically $100-150 depending on the season. However my last bill was $275 with no changes to routine except for the climate. There have been days where I am not sure the heat pump was off. However I am not willing to freeze for the sake of saving money so I just let it run. We did use the gas fire place a few times so that may have helped keep it under $300. Fortunately our home is very energy efficient and well insulated.

This time of year when I lived in a larger, considerably older, and less energy efficient home it wasn't uncommon to see the electric bill go to $600+. However that house was 3X larger than this one
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I pay about 1800 euros a year I think. We have a gas heater and cooker, no airco and few power hungry devices.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so it may have just been the time of the year... So I'm not insane lol

I looking into solar city but they don't service our area

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Our natural gas/ electric bill averages about 275 a month all year round here in Wisconsin. We live in a 100 year old house with crappy windows. We also run ac all summer, along with the tanks help keep it high. We did drop 20 a month after we replaced some light fixtures with led ones.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    Ok, so it may have just been the time of the year... So I'm not insane lol

I looking into solar city but they don't service our area
    What's the average return on investment time for solar for you? Last time I looked it was about 9 years for a 9 panel set for me.

0 Not allowed!
    If I did solar I was looking at the panel leasing, anyone know the typical energy use for standard light bulbs vs cfl vs led?

0 Not allowed!
    Well after looking into a few things my power went up $.05 per kWh... and even at the amount I used last month thats about a $35 difference.... this month I used more

Solutions I am looking into:
    1. Replacing of standing freezer in basement with chest freezer
    2. Replacing light bulbs
    3. Replacing fridge
    4. Solar panels

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    If I did solar I was looking at the panel leasing, anyone know the typical energy use for standard light bulbs vs cfl vs led?
    LED's are the most efficient, but the initial cost is the greatest

With standard light bulb (incandescaent), 60% of the energy it consumes is given off as HEAT, not light...highly inefficient
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I'm looking into power usage

What I found:
    40W Incandescent = 8-12 W CFL = 6-9 W LED
    60W Incandescent = 13-18 W CFL = 8-12.5 W LED

^Based on that, I know the LED last longer, but do they last long enough compared to the CFL to be worth the extra cost