· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool Combining schools of cardinals?

0 Not allowed!
    I just added 16 Cardinals to my 60g - if I add more after these have grown up, will they school together?

This is my first tank: 60g, fluval 406, 3 guppies, 4 small cories, and now 16 cardinal tetras. Just finished cycling. I plan on adding discus (I know what you're thinking - I've done my homework!) in a few months, but I'd like to grow my tetras bigger, maybe 1.5" in a school of 30, before adding the discus. I plan to plant the tank before adding them too. If I added more cardinals in one month or even 6, would they school together?

Also I've been having trouble with my guppies bullying my tetras. I put the guppies in to cycle the tank, they are now 1.5". They nip at the cardinals and corys and eat the flake food before the tetras can get any. My tetras have been enjoying the pellets I'm giving the catfish. Should I get rid of the guppies? I know I'll have to if they irritate the discus. They don't harm the tetras, but something about the tetras eating off the bottom doesn't seem right and I'm sure it's stressing them. The guppies do add some excitement to the tank tho!

Thanks for the advice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Can never have too many corys! - Slaphppy7   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd get rid of them. They also have other temp-needs then Cardinals and Discus !!! Guppys are surfacefeeders amd cardinals more midwater feeders, so that behaviour isn't strange !! Cheers Aad
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick response, I'm watching them nail my corys right now and I think they've gotta go. Every time my panda corys try to eat the guppys peck them till they flee, one guppy in particular. Will my LFS take some guppies back? What are the ethics behind getting rid of fish?
    Last edited by Fiiiiiish; 03-14-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Can never have too many corys! - Slaphppy7   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Doubt it cause chance taking something from your tank (disease / parasite) is a risk, but you could ask. Don't know where you live but you could advertise at the internet. Overhere we havr "Martktplaats" similar to Gumtree in the UK.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And as official Cory-addict : Get more of those !!! Discus / cardinals mean higher temps so Sterbai, Adolfoi aso would be great.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to  and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

3 Not allowed!
    As to your original question of adding cardinals to an already established and grown out cardinal school, they'll be fine. They'll find each other and will school together.

I also agree with DD, that you should re-home the guppies. Many LFS in the US will take your guppies off your hands to re-sell. They may even give you store credit. Petsmart/PetCo, however, will not.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the great advice. I posted an add on Craigslist for free guppies and was surprised by the response. I've got someone on the way to pick them up, then I'll get 14 more cardinals.

Doubledutch I've got 2 sterbai and 2 panda I'll look for some adolfoi and load up on more sterbai.

How is buying fish on the internet? Do they arrive in good condition? Can't imagine they'd still be doing it if it didn't work.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiiiiiish View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. I posted an add on Craigslist for free guppies and was surprised by the response. I've got someone on the way to pick them up, then I'll get 14 more cardinals.

Doubledutch I've got 2 sterbai and 2 panda I'll look for some adolfoi and load up on more sterbai.

How is buying fish on the internet? Do they arrive in good condition? Can't imagine they'd still be doing it if it didn't work.
    I (and they) love big shoals of the same Coryspecies. Panda like some cooler water BTW.

When I buy on the internet I always pick them up myself (no sending by post) but our country is small (max 220 km long and 100 wide) hahaha.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday my friend. - Taurus   Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The Cardinals in this video were indroduced in three phases and are doing fine.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep