· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default what floating plants are hardy and thrive well?

0 Not allowed!
    what floating plants are hardy and thrive well??

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about some amazon frogbit
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

0 Not allowed!
    Most floating plants are pretty hardy, because they propagate quickly. With the correct lighting and water flow, you'll have a canopy in no time. Duckweed is an intrusive species that'll never go away. lol Frogbit, as mentioned, is a great choice. Red Rooted Floaters are another good option, if you have adequate lighting. Also classified as floating plants are: Cabomba and Water Sprite. Fast growers. Many floating plants are on an "Invasive Species" list, because they'll quickly takeover a body of water, while pushing anything else out, so they're typically easy to grow/propagate.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i think the duckweed is pretty neat but ill never be able to get it out of my tank??? if i want to?

1 Not allowed!
    lol, well, you can... with effort.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I like Asian water grass. It's like a floating stem, so can handle a little flow no problem

1 Not allowed!
    if you like the look of common duckweed, but don't want an ineradicable infestation, check out giant duckweed spirodelia polyrhiza.
    multiplies a tad slower and also is much larger(thus easier to control)

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Duckweed can easily be eliminated, plenty of fish will eat it, hob filters will usually collect it on their intakes. Or for quicker results simply rig up a powerhead with an empty 20oz soda bottle, cut off the bottom, and place something in the bottle to filter/collect the duckweed. Place the powerhead upside-down in the tank and position it so that it draws water from the surface, and it will quickly skim out the duckweed.
    I have the stuff in multiple tanks, and about once weekly I skim out netfuls and toss into other tanks for the fish to eat. It's also a great nitrate sponge if you simply toss it in the trash when you thin it out.
    If you prefer something similar but perhaps less annoying check out Salvinia. Little larger leaves that grow in chains rather than thousands of individual tiny plants, easier to thin out, doesn't grow quite as fast IME.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i like the giant duckweed best i think but the fish will eat it?? will it kill all the giant duckweed off?

0 Not allowed!
    Dwarf water lettuce grows fairly quick and easier to maintain than duckweed. Frogbit is nice too. With some plant cover on the surface, you'll see fish more willing to be out in the open.