· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Follow the directions in the fishless cycling sticky and you will be fine. Good luck!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 
    Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx 
    For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 
    For the kind words in Matts journal ;) - steeler58 TGIF - RiversGirl Have a Cory for a safe delivery - steeler58 Thanks for playing - mommy1 Dwarf Scissorstail Rasboras - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    I will, I've read and re-read that sticky trying to absorb it! It looks simple, so I shall not over analyze the process. Simple is SO much better. Can't wait to get the tank over here...

Thanks

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had issues with my bowfront and large filters, the water out put would knock my fish about because it hit the front of the tank and swirl around the outside, leaving only a pocket of calm water in the middle. Ended up having to go with two slightly smaller HOBs and then used filter floss to dampen the flow. Just food for thought

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    If you have questions or need help, be sure to ask. We will be glad to help you cycle your tank.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 
    Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx 
    For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 
    For the kind words in Matts journal ;) - steeler58 TGIF - RiversGirl Have a Cory for a safe delivery - steeler58 Thanks for playing - mommy1 Dwarf Scissorstail Rasboras - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrews View Post
    I had issues with my bowfront and large filters, the water out put would knock my fish about because it hit the front of the tank and swirl around the outside, leaving only a pocket of calm water in the middle. Ended up having to go with two slightly smaller HOBs and then used filter floss to dampen the flow. Just food for thought
    I will keep that in mind, thank you!

I have ordered a manzanita branch. I'm wavering on using sand in this tank. Since I decided to do a fishless cycle, I have relaxed and am not so stressed to "get it all together and done" in a hurry. All the fish are in their places..(with bright shining faces)..I can slow down and get the tank just the way I want. The fish are safe and happy, no pressure on that score. I can wait in the components to arrive. I want to clean the tank a bit first and, do you think letting it dry a few days will hurt anything?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    If you have questions or need help, be sure to ask. We will be glad to help you cycle your tank.
    I appreciate that and I most certainly will ask for help....

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why you need to cycle the tank. The bio-wheel has enough bb to support the fish that are in the "new" tank, and your current filter has enough bb to support the fish you have in the ten gallon.
    I see no reason why you can't combine the two tanks in the 46gal and run both filters on it.

While those are running, yes get a properly sized filter (or two - I like to run a canister and an HOB) and run them along with the two old filters. After a few weeks, remove one old filter...then a few weeks later remove the second old filter...then you can start adding fish a few at a time to allow your bb to build up.

Of course there's no harm in doing one if you want to go that route. You can build up your bb to as high a level as you like and stock your tank fully right off the bat without any major worries. There are advantages to doing a fishless cycle, but if you don't actually want to do one, I don't think it as necessary.

Sorry if I've confused the issue when you had it all settled!

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    You got me to thinking there...I guess the answer is that I want to learn to do it. I would like to be as well prepared in any hobby I take up as possible. For me, the best way for me to learn and retain is simply hands on. Same as I learned how to work on my own car. It doesn't stick with just someone showing me how to do it, as they do it.

So, the NEXT time I try something like this, I will try using the method you describe...the next adventure in learning. Thank you!

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I your size tank I wouldn't go any higher than 4ppm ammonia. 3ppm would probably even do it.

As for background - I've tried some with plants and some with rocks and ALWAYS come back to black. Black showcases hardscape, plants and fish much better than a background with a pattern. Makes the tank look less chaotic IMO
    Good luck and do ask if you have cycling questions.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I think I am leaning towards a black background also. Your attention is definitely on the contents of the tank instead of the background.