· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

I beer for your tear's, LOL! Hope the day gets better - steeler58 Thanks for the rep! - steeler58 Tank looks great, congrats! - Slaphppy7 Here's to a safe delivery!! - steeler58 Congrats!! - Taurus 
    For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 
    Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx 
    For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

Default SeaLady's new 45 bowfront

1 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I am just getting back into owning an aquarium. Actually I am finally learning how to keep fish, finally. In the short time I have been on this forum, I've learned so much. And I am amazed, as I look back on the tank I had 25 years ago, that I kept my fishes alive as long as I did in total ignorance. In fact, when I had to give up my 35ga octagon tank, the LFS took in my little community. Months later I would stop in and there would be my group in a nicely planted tank still doing so well.

I have a 10ga planted tank, with a small group of fish who get along pretty well. But I knew that wouldn't satisfy me for long. AND I really need a QT, soooo...I think my hubby recognized the light in my eyes and decided to get out of the way. I found this bowfront on Craigslist in my town. Looked at it, liked it, and put a deposit on it. It is currently up and running with two lonely fish in it. It has a Bio wheel filter that I don't know much about, as compared to the little HOB on the 10ga. So its something new to research!
    bowfront 45.jpg
    This is how it looks in the sellers home. They are doing some traveling over the next two weeks so we've agreed to meet then to break down the tank and get it to my house.

Awards Showcase

I beer for your tear's, LOL! Hope the day gets better - steeler58 Thanks for the rep! - steeler58 Tank looks great, congrats! - Slaphppy7 Here's to a safe delivery!! - steeler58 Congrats!! - Taurus 
    For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 
    Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx 
    For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I asked some questions on the Tank thread, but I guess I can re-post them here too.

By saving the BB in the bio wheel filter, are there any more steps I should take when I set this tank up at my house. Will the BB take care of the new tank water right out of the gate? Should I wait a week or so, or just start out testing the water and start from there?...yeah that sounds right...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I am not interested in using her white large sized gravel,...at this point anyway. She has artificial plants, and some rocks she picked up in the desert...been in the tank several years.

So, I need to decide on the look of the tank. I want to expand on the community I have now, tetras, pristella, rasboras, otos, the one Betta and 2 tiger snails. Meaning I want to increase each school. I think I want to focus on the aquascape, with plants..and wood, or rock....

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't know what answers you got elsewhere, but..

As long as you keep the media in the biowheel wet, and a ammonia source (those fish), you will have a colony of BB.

BUT, it will be a small colony...only enough for those 2 fish, so add new fish very slowly, in small numbers. Check params, do water changes.

Definitely change the gravel before you get more fish...it will be way easier, and not stress them out unnecessarily.

I love driftwood. If you can find some large, unique pieces, go for it! :) Always try to 'scape first. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I didn't sleep well last night, all these questions coming into my mind. I wondered about just how much BB there was since there were only those two little fish and no plants even...

So, I could add a few of MY fish to the new tank, after I have moved plants into the new tank and filled it with fresh water...I should set out some water a couple days beforehand to "age"? I would like to quarantine the 2 new fish before putting them back into the tank with my community...hmmm. Lots to ponder. Thank you

Awards Showcase

sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 
    for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 
    Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 
    Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd certainly think about what you would like to plant and try to acquire some hardscapes before you fill the tank full of water. It's just way easier to set things up and get the plants where you want them when there isn't anything in the tank. Check to see what lighting that tank has and if it will be adequate for the plants you want to grow. Congrats on the new tank. :) I have two empty ones right now that are driving me mad. Just moved and She Who Must Be Obeyed won't let me fool with them till I help unpack the house....

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No need to age water at all....just use a dechlorinator.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    No need to age water, cool, less to think about. So, I was thinking in terms of looking into a piece of the river bottom, leaf litter, rocks, wood...that kind of scape. Not so "manicured" like the 10ga is at this time...if I get this figured out and all materials assembled before I get my hands on the tank (2 weeks) I will be less stressed. I tend to do that, ask my hubby...sigh...I wish I was more like him. Nothing ever bothers him until it needs to...

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Make sure you soak the driftwood (in dechlorinated water) for a while before adding it to the tank.

Love the natural look...post us pics when you can!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I have decided not to use the bio wheels. I did a little reading and came up with my decision. So, I am going to do a fishless cycle. I have substrate, and a bit of sand. I am going to get some manzanita, plants, and get all that set in the tank before I get started on the cycling. The plants will be okay during the cycling, I believe? I have a Whisper 60 filter coming.

I bought ammonia from Ace Hardware, no foam when shaken. I have never cycled a new tank before, at least not intentionally. This will be a good learning exercise...I am SO out of shape.

I have made no decisions about the background...I better, tho. Its not going to as accesible as my 10ga is. So it needs to be done at the start of the setup...

Thats all I have for now...

Any suggestions, or comments welcomed...