· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default My Pleco Tank Remodel Story

0 Not allowed!
    Over the last month I have put about $700.00 into my Tank and it is bare except for a piece of Driftwood I got for free! Completely re/did my Filter System to 450 GPH in my 45 Gal tank with 2 BIO Filters after the main 30+ sq ft 20 micron Cartrige Filter. I put a cave in the tank for my 16" Pleco to hide out in.

Now it is time to put some plants in there. I am thinking of a ground cover grass type of plant cause I know he will trash big plants or ones that grow up to the top. Floating ones might be a problem to due to the high flow of water in my tank rolling them around? I am also thinking I need big Mats of plants so it covers the bottom right away. I would like him to be able to munch on them also for a food so they need to grow fast and do it under low light cause he likes the tank not bright and dark at night. Not sure I want to add chemicals to the water or C02 as there is lots of poo etc that would work as fertilizer I think?

I need some help here on the plants since I am totally new to it. It would be nice to do it right the first time. So if you have the time to chime in a little and help me that would be great! The bottom of my tank is small gravel about 1 1/2" thick and the end with his cave has a big flat chunk of driftwood and the cave taking it up. I have a area 12 inches by 30 inches I can plant so what do you think I should do? PH is 7.8 and the Temp is 79-81 degs.Thanks, Mark

Something like this would maybe work for a start? Dwarf Hair I would post pictures as I go along for up/dates.
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-18-2014 at 01:51 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh oh, brazilian pennywort will do great, it is technical.a floating plant, but it can be planted, and is not photosynthetic, well I don't think so, and will absorbs the trates and trites from the poo.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Mark, how tall is you tank? And what kind of lights do you have? I think you will need a light bright enough to reach the botton of the tank. I have yet.to try to grow dwarf hair grass. And have heard mixed reviews on its growth. You shiuld have good ferts from fish poo. But light is key to grow it i think. By getting a mat of it i believe should help in the long run as it is a slow grower. Ask or pm triton for more info.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2-15 watt full spectrum fluorescent lights and the tank is 21 1/2" high. So they have to require low light I guess due to the wattage?

This is what I found on Dwarf Hairgrass;
    Dwarf Hairgrass is a great plant for beginners and seasoned aquarium keepers alike. It is an attractive bottom covering plant with long light green grass-like leaves. This species uses runners to propagate and will spread out in a thick carpet of grass. The Dwarf Hairgrass will make an excellent spawning medium, as well as a great foreground plant. This species is amphibious, and will thrive either partially or fully submersed.
    The Dwarf Hairgrass can be housed in water from 70-83F, with a neutral pH. This species appreciates a soft substrate that is rich in fertilizer. Provide the plant with moderate lighting of 2 watts per gallon or more, in the color temperature of 5000 to 7000 Kelvin.

The Dwarf Hairgrass propagates from the many runners that will branch off the root area. It grows exceptionally fast, and will quickly cover the bottom of the aquarium.

Substrate is another question is small gravel (1/4" or less) OK or does this stuff require sand or something else?
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-18-2014 at 03:49 AM.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 
    Good eye! - j250nyahweh Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady 
    Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    If you used the older watts per.gallon rule you would be under one wattnper gallon. Or low light. Oh just thought of this how old are the light bulbs? Back to the i think you might not have enough light for it. But i need to look up some info.
    Fishes go "pook pook"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Fishes go "pook pook"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are new bulbs but I was thinking of buying a weather proof 2-tube 35 watt each T-8 4 ft long commercial fixture for the top. Not happy with the aquarium ones burning out quick! I can get one of these for $50.00 with a diffuser lense and gasketed cover 8" wide and 50 inches long. The housing is all plastic polycarbonate. That would be 65 watts of light for a 45 gal tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    Just read that and boy they make it hard some say it is great others say it is hard to grow, some say CO2 others no CO2, strong light some low light but the people that sell it say it is for beginners? I guess it depends on their aquarium and who is growing it?? So much to learn.

This fixture;
    Last edited by Plecos; 09-18-2014 at 04:24 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is the ebay listing that was selling the Dwarf Hair;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-BIG-dwa...item41862187b4

1 Not allowed!
    That's the tank where you keep that big common "pleco" in? hairgrass will not stand a chance with that fish around, it's much too big and clumsy.

I'd say look into some echinodorus (amazon swords I think you ccall them) and consider placing these in the tank planted in a bigger pond pot so that they won't suffer from accidental uprooting