· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My "kids"

1 Not allowed!
    lol, no my dog came from a very reputable breeder he has never been abused nor is aggressive in the least. His temperament towards people and other animals is rock solid. He has behavioral issues primarily extreme separation anxiety which some on the forum know my SO and I have battled for the better part of 5 months with him. His other behavioral issue is he pulls like a freight train...hence the collar. I have been through 2 dog trainers, my current one has trained dogs for over 30 years and has worked with lots of the bully breeds has never encountered a dog like our Deuce (in her own words). We have switched to the pincher to avoid damaging his neck, spine and throat. This is the extent of his pulling, and he will pull for no reason just for the sake of pulling. Yet he has no desire to pull a cart

In the photos he was hanging out with us on the back deck after I took him on a 2 mile run, he exercises twice daily. He is on the treadmill for 2 miles before being crated(has never helped his anxiety) and he is either out in the yard with his flirt pole and playing fetch or running with me. I have also had him at the vet for his anxiety, pulling, and general over excitement. The vet has ruled out everything leading him to believe that Deuce has a chemical imbalance which leads him to becoming very excited very easily. We have tried various medications and training methods to no avail as well...the vet thinks that neutering may help which we are scheduled for in about 6 weeks.

For the pincher....I do not feel it is a cruel "extreme" item. He has pulled on the leash honestly since the day we brought him home at 8 weeks. Yep been through gentle leaders which he cannot tolerate, no pull harnesses dont work either. Pretty much every device known to mankind has been used and the pincher is what works. Ours has the silicone tips, he has never had an injury. I was always against pinchers as well they just look bad...but after having used one it does miracles. We call it his brake system because a tiny correction with it and he responds. Deuce is so headstrong he needs that little extra kick to get him to listen, this is especially important when outside the home where he may encounter other people. Not that I think he will maul them, he would only trample them to the ground to lick them...but given his breed I would be sued. Also after being on a pincher for all leash activity for the past 3-4 months he actually does not pull as bad as before, you can actually walk him without it now. Just not if other people or animals are around as that just sends him into over excitement mode.

I also find it humorous that we instantly jump to the conclusion that given his breed and the use of the collar he must have been trained to be violent. Many owners of all breeds sometimes resort to using a pincher for a period of time in their dog's training, this is especially true if the dog is larger or stronger than its owner or its behavior just poses a risk to injury to itself. When used correctly...a pincher is a wonderful tool. However it should not be abused and over time the pincher will curb a dog's tendency to pull because it learns the correction and correlation with pinching with pulling. Some are however stubborn blockheads on overdrive which this processes takes much longer than expected.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

1 Not allowed!
    We had to use a pincher with my chocolate lab when I was younger. She was pretty much the same way. I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with your dog... he's just full of puppy energy and isn't aware of how big/strong he is. My lab probably didn't settle down until she was about 3-4yrs old and even then, she still managed to run across the neighborhood every now and again to go see another lab two blocks over. lol

I think it's important to note that all dogs, no matter the breed, can sink back into their instinctual behavior and are unpredictable.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurescriber View Post
    And maybe you should note I did acknowledge the fact that he mentioned behavior issues.

I was wondering if the dog had a violent past...like a rescue dog? Most dogs...even pits....don't need such a rough collar unless they were trained to be violent and need to be rehabilitated. I apologize to MCHRKiller if I seemed too harsh, but I was curious what the circumstances were surrounding the collar.
    I read it as you trying to put him on blast in front of everyone for something only he had any say over, I apologize.

0 Not allowed!
    "him, he, etc" MCHRKiller is female, just so you know.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

1 Not allowed!
    Last I checked anyway

I also think that you are correct, it is a puppy thing also probably combined with some genetics. His parents are true working type APBTs very lean muscular athletic dogs...which have a lot of drive. Pits were also bred to be alert and easily stimulated so perhaps he is just a the high end of the spectrum. I do feel that age and neutering will help, he was a terror between the ages of 6-10 months. He has settled a lot the past month and a half.

I grew up with the breed and never remember them being quite this willful or overly excited. My present dog trainer has worked with hundreds of pits and still says Deuce is a great dog but still unlike any she has ever seen. He knows what he should and should not do, however still tries to do what he should not do just to see if he will get away with it. If he gets away with it at all even once, months of training is completely undone. I must give him props he determined to say the least.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Details...

1 Not allowed!
    You got a grate looking family there Jenn

I love the brindle coloring in your dog.

We too had to us a pinch caller on our black lab cross until he was around 4 years old. That dog had more energy then he know what to do with. When talking him on walks, he would try to bolt if he saw other dogs, especially other dogs playing. He always want to run over to make new canine friends. As he was 110 lbs, the pincher was the most effective way to prevent him from running across the street.

I think most people do not understand the prongs on the caller never dig into the dog's neck, only moving backwards and pinching some skin in between the prongs. They are actually very safe when fitted and used correctly and simulate a natural correction that a "alpha dog" or pack leader would give other dogs, or mother dogs would give their puppies, when they step out of line.

Anyways..... grate looking crew for sure!!!
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a small dog person myself but several years back a neighbor's 20-something son brought home a pit puppy he named Friday. She grew up to be one of the sweetest, calmest dogs as this kid worked daily with her on heeling, sitting - all the usual commands. My small silky terrier - who was not a fan of most other dogs - was her best friend.

But Friday didn't know her own strength! As her owner's mother was walking her one day through the wooded area around our condo complex, they startled a couple of deer and Friday took off in pursuit, toppling my neighbor. She had to let go of the leash so she wouldn't be dragged too far. She went back to the house, grabbed her car keys and returned to the area. Just shaking the keys and calling brought Friday back as she loved riding in the car more than chasing the deer. The dog was fine, my neighbor was not hurt and no, Friday didn't catch the deer.

Since these are such strong dogs, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep you both safe. I hope the neutering and maturity settles him down a bit for you.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I think most people do not understand the prongs on the caller never dig into the dog's neck, only moving backwards and pinching some skin in between the prongs. They are actually very safe when fitted and used correctly and simulate a natural correction that a "alpha dog" or pack leader would give other dogs, or mother dogs would give their puppies, when they step out of line.
    Agreed completely. There's nothing at all wrong with the correct use of a pinch collar for training purposes, they're certainly more humane than a choke collar. Some dogs just refuse to listen to reason and need that extra bit of correction.

And those are some great looking varmints you have there, ma'am.

-S

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    lol, no my dog came from a very reputable breeder he has never been abused nor is aggressive in the least. His temperament towards people and other animals is rock solid. He has behavioral issues primarily extreme separation anxiety which some on the forum know my SO and I have battled for the better part of 5 months with him. His other behavioral issue is he pulls like a freight train...hence the collar. I have been through 2 dog trainers, my current one has trained dogs for over 30 years and has worked with lots of the bully breeds has never encountered a dog like our Deuce (in her own words). We have switched to the pincher to avoid damaging his neck, spine and throat. This is the extent of his pulling, and he will pull for no reason just for the sake of pulling. Yet he has no desire to pull a cart

In the photos he was hanging out with us on the back deck after I took him on a 2 mile run, he exercises twice daily. He is on the treadmill for 2 miles before being crated(has never helped his anxiety) and he is either out in the yard with his flirt pole and playing fetch or running with me. I have also had him at the vet for his anxiety, pulling, and general over excitement. The vet has ruled out everything leading him to believe that Deuce has a chemical imbalance which leads him to becoming very excited very easily. We have tried various medications and training methods to no avail as well...the vet thinks that neutering may help which we are scheduled for in about 6 weeks.

For the pincher....I do not feel it is a cruel "extreme" item. He has pulled on the leash honestly since the day we brought him home at 8 weeks. Yep been through gentle leaders which he cannot tolerate, no pull harnesses dont work either. Pretty much every device known to mankind has been used and the pincher is what works. Ours has the silicone tips, he has never had an injury. I was always against pinchers as well they just look bad...but after having used one it does miracles. We call it his brake system because a tiny correction with it and he responds. Deuce is so headstrong he needs that little extra kick to get him to listen, this is especially important when outside the home where he may encounter other people. Not that I think he will maul them, he would only trample them to the ground to lick them...but given his breed I would be sued. Also after being on a pincher for all leash activity for the past 3-4 months he actually does not pull as bad as before, you can actually walk him without it now. Just not if other people or animals are around as that just sends him into over excitement mode.

I also find it humorous that we instantly jump to the conclusion that given his breed and the use of the collar he must have been trained to be violent. Many owners of all breeds sometimes resort to using a pincher for a period of time in their dog's training, this is especially true if the dog is larger or stronger than its owner or its behavior just poses a risk to injury to itself. When used correctly...a pincher is a wonderful tool. However it should not be abused and over time the pincher will curb a dog's tendency to pull because it learns the correction and correlation with pinching with pulling. Some are however stubborn blockheads on overdrive which this processes takes much longer than expected.
    Pits are the most misunderstood breed there is. Glad you are taking the time to work with Deuce.

For some excellent insight about pit bulls, "The Lost Dogs" by Jim Gorant. It is the true story of the Michael Vick fighting dogs. 51 pits were seized, 2 were euthanized as they were so traumatized they literally shut down and could not be rehabbed. The 49 remaining dogs were sent to several rehab groups and many were adopted into loving homes - updates are found online (many were/are at Best Friends in Utah).

Another really good read is “Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls--One Flying Disc at a Time", also by Jim Gorant. Wallace (who succumbed to cancer last August) was unadoptable, but became a world champion flying disc dog.

Also watch "Pitbulls & Parolees" on Animal Planet. Many of their rescues were horribly abused or left for dead.

Last edited by gronlaura; 03-13-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"