· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes they do get gooey, but when they are underwater the decay process is actually really pretty! It just looks like whispy floaty fins.....until you touch it. Then the pretty goes to havoc REALLY fast!
    40 gallon FW -1 male halfmoon betta named Max, 2 GBR's (Peter and Lois) who better clean up their act, 11neon tetras (damn GBR's killed one), 12 black neon tetras, 2 assassin snails, and 1 albino BN pleco named Tiberius.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, i'll leave it to do its thing then. I actually already have it in a little nylon 'bag' I tied up, I read about people putting shrimp/prawns in filter bags and figured the material from womens tights would work in the way.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK im not sure if things are going right.

I took some foam pad from my parents established tank, squeezed a bit into the water and put it in the filter, however my ammonia is at 4mg/l, no nitrite or nitrate. Surely I should be getting a small nitrite reading? I would have thought the pad would be covered in beneficial bacteria.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    That depends on how long it was in the filter. If it was in for a short time there might not be enough bacteria on it to make a big difference. Also if the media dried out before you put it in your filter it may not have enough bacteria.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    That depends on how long it was in the filter. If it was in for a short time there might not be enough bacteria on it to make a big difference. Also if the media dried out before you put it in your filter it may not have enough bacteria.
    Its been in the filter over a year. I transferred it to my tank in a jug of tank water.

Ive just been to my local fish shop and they reckon you have to transfer the tank water at the same time as transferring media or the change in water parameters will kill off the bacteria, is this accurate?

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

1 Not allowed!
    There is a bit of truth but not much. Used tank water certainly won't hurt but, the only thing you transfer with used tank water is dirty water. With that being said, if there are no nutrients in the water, such as occurs with RO water, then that will kill off the bacteria. So will a pH of less than 6.0, and temperatures that are too high or too low. But that is where that bit of truth ends. The media needs to stay wet and aerated, but old tank water is not necessary, a bucket of clean, dechlorinated water and an air stone is all that is needed to keep the bacteria alive for quite a while.

If the media has been in the filter for over a year it should have plenty of bacteria on it. There are a couple reasons I can think of that might be a problem. The first is you are not giving the bacteria long enough to do it's job, give it a couple more days. Second, the bioload of your parents tank may not be large enough to grow enough bacteria to convert the ammonia in your tank yet, give it a couple more days.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I dont know whats going on. I put some of the media (pad + white balls) from my canister filter into it and im still getting 4mg/l ammonia, 0 nitrite + nitrate. I have no idea what im doing wrong. PH is 7, temperature is around 80f, and there is plenty of water circulation. I have ordered some Ammonia online, im going to try that instead of using the prawn and see if it helps.