· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default Lilies and herbivores

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, all. I have some of those famous mystery lilies (Nymphaea walmartata) sprouting, and I'm wondering how they hold up to herbivores. Specifically, could I put a few with a black moor goldfish? He does like to browse, so it takes either a very stout plant, or a lot of very fast-growing plants to hold up. Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Also, does anyone know what species these things are? Again, I'll be able to ID them once they grow, but it's easier to plan if i know in advance.

More about those mystery lilies in another thread; something of a story there.

Tom
    Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIF and here's to over coming difficulties! :-) - Taurus   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to have you back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

1 Not allowed!
    lol, Nymphaea walmartata. Very nice. Are you talking about this? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Life-P...-Pets/10403220

If so, that's a Dwarf Lily. I have one in my 20gal Long and used to have one in my 75gal. Beautiful plant. Most fish are omnivores, so they'll pick at live plants here and there, but as long as you don't have snails, you should be able to grow this out pretty well. At first, they have a very small footprint, as you've probably noticed with the smaller leaves.

As I mentioned on the other thread, the root system is really complex. This thing is very difficult to uproot, which makes it a good solution for cichlids, etc. I would suggest that it could do well with Goldfish. In fact, people do have Lily plants in their ponds with Goldfish and/or Koi. Should be fine. =]

This is the one I had in my 75gal when it was young, prior to my java moss killing it. ;<

Baby plant to juvenile:

This is showing the growth of one shoot, making its way to the surface (first one on this plant):

Here's the one in my 20gal Long (about a year ago):
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

If you don't do it, who's going to?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, that's the one. Those are mighty pretty! And that's what I was hoping to hear, as far as root systems/hardiness. The company sent me about a dozen of them, so I might put several in my goldy tank and keep several for my 55. They do fine in coolish water, right? And I bet they really suck up the nitrates, once they get a couple leaves to the surface, so maybe they will help with my algae problems...Good deal all around.

Thanks for the info.

Tom
    Friends don't let friends use clown-puke gravel.
    www.whistlingbadger.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIF and here's to over coming difficulties! :-) - Taurus   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to have you back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

1 Not allowed!
    Yep, they should be fine in cooler water. They do eat up a lot of nitrates, as they're fairly fast growers.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

If you don't do it, who's going to?