· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default good groundcover?

0 Not allowed!
    I need suggestions on a groundcover type plant for my fry tank I planted some dwarf hair grass will this spread and be a groundcover type thing?

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, it should throw runners into the substrate and uproot new plantlets throughout the tank. Pygmy Chain Swords are an option, Baby Tears, Glossostigmata, Micro Swords, etc. They all propagate in the same manner. There are other options, but these are the first that come to mind.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2 Not allowed!
    Hair grass tends to spread out and not grow dense unless you're running a high energy tank.

Another option for a fry tank is java moss.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok i really like the glossostigmata stuff... are they hardy? and can they be found at a local pet store?

0 Not allowed!
    You'll more than likely have to order it online at Aquabid or maybe http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com. Here you go: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....lant_p_26.html

I've purchased from them several times. Beautiful, healthy plants and they ship very well. I strictly deal with them, unless they don't have what I want now.

As far as hardiness? If your lighting is adequate, they'll be fine. They're a little delicate at first, when you're attempting to plant them in the substrate. Just be careful when you do and you should be fine.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    glosso is a bit of a higher maintenance plant. it isn't super difficult, bit it isn't easy either.
    if you want to grow glossostigma, you should have good lights in the proper color spectrum, a fertilizing schedule, CO2.
    if not, then maybe java moss?

0 Not allowed!
    For cover for small shrimp I've had a lot of success with pogestemon helferi. However...
    1. It doesn't do well in sand, much better in gravel
    2. You need to restrict your gravel vac urges.

Doing a few steps back. If this is a purely functional affair, as many fry tanks are, why not tie some java moss and fern to some wood and rocks? That way you can even take them out if you need and store in the main tank. It would also allow you to run bare bottom tank if you need. For the top get some amazon frogbit, that stuff devours nitrates which is a good thing in a fry tank and it also offers a sense of security.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    You'll more than likely have to order it online at Aquabid or maybe http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com. Here you go: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....lant_p_26.html

I've purchased from them several times. Beautiful, healthy plants and they ship very well. I strictly deal with them, unless they don't have what I want now.

As far as hardiness? If your lighting is adequate, they'll be fine. They're a little delicate at first, when you're attempting to plant them in the substrate. Just be careful when you do and you should be fine.
    they dont charge shipping???

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    For cover for small shrimp I've had a lot of success with pogestemon helferi. However...
    1. It doesn't do well in sand, much better in gravel
    2. You need to restrict your gravel vac urges.

Doing a few steps back. If this is a purely functional affair, as many fry tanks are, why not tie some java moss and fern to some wood and rocks? That way you can even take them out if you need and store in the main tank. It would also allow you to run bare bottom tank if you need. For the top get some amazon frogbit, that stuff devours nitrates which is a good thing in a fry tank and it also offers a sense of security.
    i like the emphasis u put on the frogbit i may have to look into that stuff:3 or maybe the java moss just cuz everyones recomending it

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfab32 View Post
    they dont charge shipping???
    Everyone charges shipping.