· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fixing an aquarium after an Ich breakout kills all the fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone. As you can see, I joined the forum about a year ago, and have been lurking all this time gaining knowledge mostly. This site has been a great resource.

So I was playing with fire, and added a new fish to one of my aquariums who was apparently infected with ich. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to treat it in time, and the aquarium is a total loss of fish now. On a side note, a quaratine tank will be in place from now on when I add new fish.

So what should I do with the aquarium? Ideally, I'd like it to not lose its cycle before I add new fish in about a week. Some places recommended washing everything in a bleach solution which I know would kill the bacteria in the gravel and such.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Awards Showcase

It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 
    TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    If you are certain it was an ich outbreak, you can raise the temp to 86F for a few weeks....that should be long and warm enough to break the life cycle of the ich protozoan, without killing your BB and losing the cycle.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

3 Not allowed!
    + to Slappy HOWEVER, 10 days ought to do it. If you have no fish in the aquarium, though, you need to provide a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria.

How long has the tank been without fish? If it's been more than 48 hours, there's a pretty good probability that most of your Beneficial Bacteria has already died and you'll have to start from scratch as far as your cycle goes.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 
    TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    + to Slappy HOWEVER, 10 days ought to do it. If you have no fish in the aquarium, though, you need to provide a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria.

How long has the tank been without fish? If it's been more than 48 hours, there's a pretty good probability that most of your Beneficial Bacteria has already died and you'll have to start from scratch as far as your cycle goes.
    Very good points, agree 100% with this
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

1 Not allowed!
    Ich is one of the lesser evils that can happen to a tank and there is no need to tear down and bleach the tank.

IF the tank was mature and IF you had a strong bio-filter(beneficial bacteria), and IF you kept the bacteria wet and oxygenated (kept the filter running), three or four days is not going to make a huge difference in the bio-filter. You will have lost a bit, but not so much that you will be starting over.

I can't remember how long it takes for ich to complete its life cycle, but two weeks comes to mind, I could be wrong you should google that to make sure. If it were my tank, I would "feed" the bacteria ammonia to keep the cycle going for three to four weeks then go get more fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank was established about 1 year, a 29 gallon with a Tetra Whisper 30 and an AquaClear 50. Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 10-20ppm. I have a hard time seeing a difference between those two on the chart. TW30 had floss in it only. AC50 has 2 sponges and a bag of biomax. I usually do a 25-50% water change each week.

Tank members were 7 tiger barbs and a pink cichlid.

The last fish died last night, so I will dose with Ammonia today. I have already raised the temp to the max of 86 degrees my heater can do this morning after I pulled out the last fish that died overnight.

I think it was ich. The fish had some spots on their fins, and a couple of the tiger barbs had fin rot as well. The pink cichlid did not show any fin rot, and never really had spots though either now that I think about it. Her gills were more red.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

1 Not allowed!
    Ich often attacks the gills first and we can't see it but it is still affecting the fish. Did the spots look like grains of salt? If so it is ich, if not it wasn't and we need to figure out what it was before you add more fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it was ich, ten days at 86 with no fish should be plenty for it to run it's course and completely die off.

-S

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not entirely sure it was ich. It may have been costia, (slime disease). The only real spots were on a couple of the tiger barbs. Mainly around their mouths and a couple of spots near their dorsal fin. I did 2 days of treatment with Ich away, as that was the only medication I had on hand, before they all died.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Doesn't sound like costia, this is a description of costia from this site http://www.fishyportal.com/cgi-bin/pub/diag?c=v&id=45

Flagellates 8-15 micrometers large of different form which depends on the relative position to the observer. There are two flagella on the front part of the organism, Clamped fins, Fish do swinging movements, Fish itch (fish scratch on the rocks and other objects), Fish stop feeding, Laboured breathing, Blue-grayish slime coating, Entire body covered whith gray coating, Fins stick together, Fraying of fins, Separate slightly red areas on the body, Separation of fin rays, Slime comes out of gills

Fish are not always covered in ich spots. Sometimes there are only a few on the body and fins of the fish and the real damage is being done in the gills. Here is a picture of ich just to be sure.

This is a bad case

and this one not so bad

If the spots were a bit larger than shown in those two pictures it might have been a fungus or bacterial infection. If so, I do suggest tearing down and completely cleaning the tank and starting over from scratch.