· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default AmQuel ammonia Remover while cycling a new tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, i have a 10 gallon aquarium that I have had cycling for two weeks with neon tetras. I am doing 10percent water changes every day just in case the ammonia levels are getting high. I'm wondering if I could use AmQuel ammonia remover with water changes. Would this remove all of the ammonia and stop/restart the nitrogen cycle. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Dosing enough to remove all ammonia will stall your cycle, the BB colony will need some of the source to grow.

Your best bet is to just monitor and do the size of water change you need to keep the ammonia level safe for the fish. This may be more or less than you are currently doing, its all going to depend on the results.

DO be sure to use dechlor if needed though

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Amquel does not remove ammonia. It changes ammonia to ammonium for 24-48 hours. Ammonium is not toxic to fish and is consumed by beneficial bacteria.

Use a test kit to determine the water changes for a fish in cycle. When ammonia or nitrites hits close to 0.5ppm, do a 50% water changes.

Does your tap water contain chloramines? This can be determined by using a liquid ammonia test on the tap water or looking at your water authority report.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have been adding tetra aquasafe to the replacement water to remove chloramines. I was just wondering if i should be using amquel instead because it also removes the chloramines along with ammonia. Would amquel be ok to use while still cycling a tank?

Thanks.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Trillianne. Monitor it and do water changes as needed.

-S

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by neon tetra View Post
    i have been adding tetra aquasafe to the replacement water to remove chloramines. I was just wondering if i should be using amquel instead because it also removes the chloramines along with ammonia. Would amquel be ok to use while still cycling a tank?

Thanks.
    Both amquel and tetra safe break the chloramine bond, and separates it into chlorine and ammonia. Both will then make chlorine harmless permanently. However, amquel is the only one which will make the ammonia non-toxic for a temporary amount of time (24-48 hours). Amquel is fine to use while cycling a tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Both amquel and tetra safe break the chloramine bond, and separates it into chlorine and ammonia. Both will then make chlorine harmless permanently. However, amquel is the only one which will make the ammonia non-toxic for a temporary amount of time (24-48 hours). Amquel is fine to use while cycling a tank.
    ok thank you