· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Craigslist Shopping: Safety of buying someone's old tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

So I've made the mistake of buying a bowfront with a broken brace and a previously repaired 55 gallon with.. two broken braces. Those days are over and I'm looking at a couple of 29 gallon aquariums as well as a 40 gallon(36x12, 10 years old, no braces, owner can't tell me the thickness of the glass or brand) that are within my price range. All of these tanks are either currently full of water or were recently taken down. Is there much risk with smaller tanks? I cannot risk a leak or worse, a tank just "blowing up"(apparently what happened to the 55 gallon). Also, how much do stands matter? The 29 gallons are on the cheap(plastic?) decorative stands. Please help me in my ignorance as I need to make a decision soon. One of the 29 gallon setups is $50, the other could be a possible trade, and the 40 gallon is $45 but about an hour away from me. It also has an "oak" trim and I'm not too fond of that. There are other possibilities as well. Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Why are you in a rush? Do you have fish now?

Quite honestly, if I had been burned with used goods, I'd go for new.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I have fish now and am using one of the damaged tanks(ticking time bomb). Unfortunately, I can't afford a new setup at this time.

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    What fish? How many? Which tank are they in now?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyIceWater View Post
    Yes, I have fish now and am using one of the damaged tanks(ticking time bomb). Unfortunately, I can't afford a new setup at this time.
    FYI, I saw a sign at Petco for a March 30th (till when I forget) $1 a gallon sale again. 20 days to wait, but brand new and fits in a tight budget. My 1st 55 was one of these deals, still going strong.
    55 Gallon community tank.
    55 Gallon Cichlid in progress.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    29 Gallon, Planted with my Panda Garra fry.
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dishsnthings View Post
    FYI, I saw a sign at Petco for a March 30th (till when I forget) $1 a gallon sale again. 20 days to wait, but brand new and fits in a tight budget. My 1st 55 was one of these deals, still going strong.
    I wish my local fish stores did deals like this. The best I have seen so far is 60p per litre
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and MTS
    • 15 gallon: 1 Pair German Blue Ram, 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Threadfin Rainbowfish, a lot of cherry shrimp and MTS

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Why are you in a rush? Do you have fish now?

Quite honestly, if I had been burned with used goods, I'd go for new.
    It may not be a hurry, so much as the shortage of good used stuff. At least here in new england, hell even new at reasonable prices are hard to find here. I do routinely browse craigslist cause you never know what you may find. But 99% I see here is junk. The 1% I can't afford LOLOL. Long ago I went to look at a 90 gallon for $100, "great condition" with slight crack in top frame. I flew over there. It wasn't just cracked (in TWO places, but actually separated 1/4 inch on each. AND the glass was so scratched I think it was used for a sandbox for the kiddies. So it's like if you miss a tank sale, and all the used stuff is junk, and you have a tight budget, it's almost like a panic mode. Especially when some of us have 'tank addiction syndrome"
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden123 View Post
    I wish my local fish stores did deals like this. The best I have seen so far is 60p per litre
    Pet Supplies Plus does it too...... theres just ended a few weeks ago. Any of those near you? BTW, there tanks were Aqueon, I think way better than Petco's Tetra tanks.
    75 Gallon Big Boy tank,
    20 Gallon spare/QT.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in the UK and I don't think those chain stores are over here
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and MTS
    • 15 gallon: 1 Pair German Blue Ram, 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Threadfin Rainbowfish, a lot of cherry shrimp and MTS

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    There is the same risk in small as there is in big.. just on a less amount of water scale.

If the tanks are supposed to have braces and do not, then I'd skip them. Many of the smaller tanks do not have center braces.

Check to see if they have good seals, look for any problems in the glass or frame. Do a fill test before you buy.

When you get it home, do a leak test outside or in the tub for a good while to ensure you didn't miss anything before you add fish.

Alternatively, you could reseal a fish tank if the glass is good. I have not done it but I know there are people that do that sort of thing and tutorials online on how to do so.

I am doubting the stands are plastic. I'd guess metal would be more common, but if its a concern, you can replace or build a new stand before you fill it with water and fish.