· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Setting up small planted Betta tank

0 Not allowed!
    I want to set up a planted tank for my Betta. I have seen a tank today that will fit on my desk; a 27 litre (7 gallon) cube. I can get a barebones (just tank and lid) for around £25.

Now I was thinking of having my Betta + 2 african dwarf frogs in the tank. What I need to know is:

- which substrate should I get?
    - What lighting do I need?
    - What is the best type of filter for this size tank?

I have sand in my main tank which is super easy to clean, if I went for an actual plant substrate how do you clean it? And I was looking at some LED lighting which sort of clip onto the back of the tank, is there anything in particular I should look for when buying?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    if you want a HoB - you could get an AC20 for the tank and then just keep the flow turned down on the filter
    for lighting you could use a desklamp pointing down over the tank with a single 13w cfl 6500k bulb in something like this - http://www.lowes.com/pd_203198-1373-...7C1&facetInfo=
    for substrate that is your preference.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    if you want a HoB - you could get an AC20 for the tank and then just keep the flow turned down on the filter
    for lighting you could use a desklamp pointing down over the tank with a single 13w cfl 6500k bulb in something like this - http://www.lowes.com/pd_203198-1373-...7C1&facetInfo=
    for substrate that is your preference.
    I was actually looking at the Fluval Mini Internal, hang on backs arent that common in the UK from what ive seen, and in any case they 'splash' as they return the water which I dont want as the tank will be right next to my bed so needs to be quiet as possible.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    ok that's fine - my ac30 is whisper quiet on my 10gallon. Didn't know what was available on says amazon.co.uk and was trying to save as much internal space as possible since it is a small tank. But a 15-20 gallon rated internal filter would work well as well.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    ok that's fine - my ac30 is whisper quiet on my 10gallon. Didn't know what was available on says amazon.co.uk and was trying to save as much internal space as possible since it is a small tank. But a 15-20 gallon rated internal filter would work well as well.
    Ok awesome, it has good reviews anyway.

Now about substrate, I was looking at the Tetra Complete Plant Substrate, looks good, has good reviews, but how do you clean it when doing water changes? I dont want to be digging through it disturbing plant roots. With sand you just siphon over the surface and all the muck gets picked up leaving the substrate untouched.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have eco complete substrate in my 30 and 15 gal planted tanks. I don't vac. With a betta, there is no reason to overfeed as they come right to the surface for their pellets. any waste will be absorbed in the substrate as fertilizer.
    I would be really reluctant to add the frogs as the tank is so small. You may want to read up a little on the frogs and a betta together as well. Have you thought of adding some colorful snails or larger shrimp varieties?
    BTW - your betta tank in the photo continues to be one of the nicest tanks I've seen. very well done.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I have eco complete substrate in my 30 and 15 gal planted tanks. I don't vac. With a betta, there is no reason to overfeed as they come right to the surface for their pellets. any waste will be absorbed in the substrate as fertilizer.
    I would be really reluctant to add the frogs as the tank is so small. You may want to read up a little on the frogs and a betta together as well. Have you thought of adding some colorful snails or larger shrimp varieties?
    BTW - your betta tank in the photo continues to be one of the nicest tanks I've seen. very well done.
    I have purchased the tank but the store I got it from didnt have any special substrates so I ended up getting a bag of black gravel, although it is really tiny gravel. The pieces are a bit bigger than sand but not by much. From what ive seen any dirt will settle on top rather than dig in.

I wouldn't mind snails but I dont want them breeding, I like nerites but dont like the eggs they leave everywhere. Aqadvisor tells me I could have the betta, 2 frogs and and 6 cherry shrimp in the tank and not be overstocked.

And thanks, i'm very glad you like my tank :)