· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: co2 in 15g

1. Default co2 in 15g

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a 15g planted tank with single 24w t5 tube and I am thinking of adding another 24w t5 tube now my question is would I need to start adding co2 if so would a DIY yeast based system with a ledder diffuser work or would I need to buy a pressurised system?

0 Not allowed!
    adding a second t5 would mean a high light tank. the general rule is minimum 2 watts per gallon, but over 2.6 wpg and an algae infestation
    is always around the corner if you make a mistake.
    as for your actual question, you could certainly set up a DIY CO2 system. DIY CO2 is more efficient in tanks less than roughly 30 gallons.
    here's a link to a site that helped me a lot http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One T5 light is more than enough for most plants. Two T5's are only necessary for higher light requirement plants (like most red plants). It depends what plants you keep. If you keep lower light plants, extra lighting might actually be bad for them.

As for CO2, it is not necessary, it just makes the plants grow faster. The plants will grow without it. But if you want them to grow as fast and as large as they possibly can then CO2 is not a bad idea. The DIY yeast systems are much cheaper but require more effort and more monitoring. The pressurized systems are expensive but can be left alone and not worried about. Basically pick your poison. The DIY yeast systems are cheaper and harder, but the pressurized systems are expensive and easy. They work just as well as each other if you do it right.

As for CO2 in general, you don't need it. Again, the plants will grow without it. They will just grow slower and not quite as large. Personally I'm happy to have them grow slower. It's a lot less effort.